X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96B to 19 or 11-series Officer?

Like many, I apologize if my question has been addressed elsewhere on this forum. Have been unable to find exactly what I'm looking for and was hoping someone could either guide me to the correct answer or discuss.

I'm a former tactical intelligence analyst (figure most of us know it as 96B, so we'll stick with that) with 4 years Active and 4-ish years* with the drilling Reserves. Would be interested in joining the Guard if there were a chance I could commission into a combat arms branch. Prefer armor or infantry, but would be willing to consider artillery. The four-year degree was in-hand already when I enlisted and as of right now I'm sitting just shy of a 2-year break in service.

I did 2 years with a mech. infantry unit while Active, so I've got a basic notion what the change will entail. Most curious to know (a) if the Guard - specifically VA or MD - would push to keep me in intelligence and thus deny the move to a new specialty and (b) if doing the MOS change with a commissioning is a bridge too far.

At present, I'm stationed overseas. The plan would be to engage with a recruiter on returning to CONUS, but so long as I'm stuck here I figured I should pulse you good folks to see if my aspirations were even do-able.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts/insights.

V/R,

mack

*- More on this if it matters; suffice to say I spent some of that time deployed doing other DoD work as a civilian.

Re: 96B to 19 or 11-series Officer?

All the other criterion non withstanding, your enlisted Intel MOS has no direct bearing on your potential basic branch selection. Every state determines branch assignment in its own way and is directly dependent on position avalibility versus number of applicants. I often tell prospects to be sold on officership rather than a specific branch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
      All the other criterion non withstanding, your enlisted Intel MOS has no direct bearing on your potential basic branch selection. Every state determines branch assignment in its own way and is directly dependent on position avalibility versus number of applicants. I often tell prospects to be sold on officership rather than a specific branch.
      Makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the insight.

Got repeated threats I'd be unable to change branch if I commissioned while on Active Duty (Army didn't want the cost of clearing me to go to waste), so I was wondering about that.

Again, I very much appreciate it.

V/R,

Mack

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        That's good advice... but the truth is I would hate life if I branched anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Mack View Post
          Most curious to know (a) if the Guard - specifically VA or MD - would push to keep me in intelligence
          I cannot make a formal obligation, although I can state that in history Virginia has never forced a new lieutenant to branch MI. We get plenty of people who work for three-letter agencies who want that field. Our biggest needs for lieutenants are in Infantry, Engineer, Artillery, and one of the Logistics fields.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
            I cannot make a formal obligation, although I can state that in history Virginia has never forced a new lieutenant to branch MI. We get plenty of people who work for three-letter agencies who want that field. Our biggest needs for lieutenants are in Infantry, Engineer, Artillery, and one of the Logistics fields.
            LTC Ritchie,

Much appreciate the perspective, sir. It's actually because of my civilian job that I prefer to gravitate more toward another field.

I now feel confident this is something I'll want to actively pursue with a recruiter when I return. As with the other gentlemen, I am grateful to you for providing your thoughts.

Very Respectfully,

Mack

Comment

While you'll need to work with a traditional recruiter for an OCS enlistment, you may wish to make contact with Virginia's OSM, MAJ Hamilton, at Bryan.s.hamilton@us.army.mil. Mention my name. I can also hook you up with a local recruiter if you like, just tell me in a PM where you live or work, depending on where you want to meet.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                While you'll need to work with a traditional recruiter for an OCS enlistment, you may wish to make contact with Virginia's OSM, MAJ Hamilton, at Bryan.s.hamilton@us.army.mil. Mention my name. I can also hook you up with a local recruiter if you like, just tell me in a PM where you live or work, depending on where you want to meet.
                Understood, sir.

At the moment I'm still a couple of weeks out from knowing how soon I will be returning to the 'States, though, so don't want to bother yourself or MAJ Hamilton unduly. Once I've got a better feel for the date, may I take you up on your offer?

Again, thanks much for your help.

V/R,

Mack

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Mack View Post
                  At the moment I'm still a couple of weeks out from knowing how soon I will be returning to the 'States, though, so don't want to bother yourself or MAJ Hamilton unduly. Once I've got a better feel for the date, may I take you up on your offer?
                  The Virginia National Guard has existed for four centuries, we can wait a few weeks for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X