X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prior service Air Force trying to enlist in the Connecticut Guard

Hi - I am trying to re-enter military service, but am not having very much luck. Please read about my situation and chime in if you have any information that may be useful for me

I entered military service in the Air Force, on May 20 1998. In 1999 I entered my first relationship, we got married, and in 2000 she cheated on me on two different occasions. I was barely 20 years old, and being cheated on caused me to feel depressed at the time. The Air Force had me speak with a doctor, and he asked if I wanted to remain in the Air Force and I said, "Not really, but not much I can do." and this resulted in him recommending my discharge. At no time did I attempt suicide or anything like that, I just felt depressed because of being so young, in my first real relationship, and being cheated on twice in this new relationship. I was inexperienced with relationships and it affected me more than the same thing may have affected others perhaps.

September 2000 I was honorably discharged with:
    narrative description: "Personality disorder"
    separation code: JFX
    re-code: 2C

Right away, I realized I had made a mistake and tried to go back in. At that point I was informed that I couldn't re-enter due to my re-entry code. I attempted to have my re-code upgraded by mailing the address for correction of military records, but months later received a letter stating they would not change it as I have provided no proof that any condition no longer existed. At that point I went to see a medical doctor, explained my situation, he asked me questions for an hour, and gave me a 6 page letter basically stating what happened and saying that he saw no signs of depression and that I appeared to be healthy both mentally and physically. I sent another request, along with a copy of the letter to the military records correction address again, and received a response saying they were still not going to upgrade my re-entry code. I wasn't shocked, but was disappointed. I made a poor decision by not fighting to stay in the military, and once discharged it seems I can never go back in.

I'd like to re-enter military service and feel that sense of pride again. I spoke with an Army recruiter a few years back, and he told me that he could get anyone back into the military but that if he put forth the effort of doing so, that I had better not change my mind. I agreed and let him know that I've been trying hard for years to get back in, and that I won't be changing my mind. I never heard from him again, the next time I went to the recruiters office I was informed he was no longer in that office. I hadn't tried again until just recently, within the past week. I've filled out applications online for Navy/Army, Army National Guard, only for the response to say that I didn't meet requirements. I understand that if a 2C is not allowed in, that the default response will tell me that I'm not qualified and halt the application process...but there must be some thing or things that I can try.

The military sometimes issues waivers for people who have commit crimes, etc. and I find it hard to believe that I'm forever barred from service because when I was 19 I felt depressed after being cheated on twice...and that these negative feelings went away days later. At 32 years old now, I'm now too old to re-enter service for Air Force or Marines. I haven't had any mental health issues, physical health issues, criminal arrests, etc. I feel I'm a completely healthy male from head to toe and would love more than anything to re-enter military service. I am willing to speak with additional doctors, although at this time I have no health insurance. I would be more than happy to speak with a series of military doctors to ensure I'm mentally and physically fit for service.

The reason I am posting this in this forum, is because I have been researching for the past few days and have come across data that suggests my 2C re-entry code may be waiverable as long as its been 2yrs since my discharge date (Its been 12 years). I understand the likelihood of being accepted back into the military, even though I know I am healthy and more mature than 12 years ago, is low. I'd still like to exhaust all resources and avenues in attempting to join the National Guard. I've been developing dyamic websites for the past 15 years and am very interested in working with computers in the military, although I am open to some other jobs too!

I would like to speak with a recruiter in person if possible, however I'm unsure if I go to the local recruiter here in Waterbury, CT or do I speak with someone where I see the job opening for the particular guard base here in CT? Or perhaps there is a army national guard recruiter station here in CT? As you can see, I'm passionate about getting back in, but I'm not exactly sure on how to proceed at this point.

Thanks for any help, suggestions, feedback. Again, although my chances of serving again probbaly aren't good, id like to keep trying as I have fond memories of being in. I made lots of great friends, life experiences, and much more that I'll never forget.

Thanks again

Chris

Re: prior service Air Force trying to enlist in the Connecticut Guard

I don't know if I should concentrate on having my RE code upgraded, or perhaps the separation code instead (or both)?
    I've spoken to some recruiters in the past that made it seem as though they wouldn't bother with me since more work was involved, so I'm hoping to do as much leg work myself as possible.
    Would it do any good to have friends write letters recommending me for service and bring these to the recruiter or include them in my requests to have my RE code upgraded?

Any and all feedback is appreciated

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisco Adkins View Post
      I don't know if I should concentrate on having my RE code upgraded, or perhaps the separation code instead (or both)?
      The realistic answer is, neither of these will happen. You could get a letter from the President, and the board of corrections will still be reluctant to change it. An RE code, and the narratives that follow are the absolute HARDEST things to appeal. They generally only entertain changes to the characterization of service. (e.g. General, Honorable and so fourth.)

Comment

Yeah I have a tendency to write too much... I guess my best bet, to rather than ask in here, would be to speak with a recruiter in person and have them tell me that nothing can be done, or that something can be done. I was hoping to get a call back, etc. to set up a time to meet with an advisor, but I simply received an email saying I didn't meet the qualifications, most likely due to my RE code...

Can I speak with a local army recruiter? Or does Guard have their own recruiters?

Comment

I took some UCONN classes in Waterbury and had to drive from Norwalk.

Anyway, isn't RobinPugs 35 and prior service trying to get into the Air National Guard? Why are you too old?

Also, the services been combating suicides and anything that has to do with mental issues; provides a bigger barrier to overcome.

Talk a recruiter again. It cannot hurt but understand now, that it is even harder to get in than the years 2004-2011. You had better chances during those times.

Guard has their own recruiters. Go to the Waterbury armory.

Also, to feel pride, serving is not the only way of getting it.
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; October 6th, 2012, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            I took some UCONN classes in Waterbury and had to drive from Norwalk.

Anyway, isn't RobinPugs 35 and prior service trying to get into the Air National Guard? Why are you too old?

Also, the services been combating suicides and anything that has to do with mental issues; provides a bigger barrier to overcome.

Talk a recruiter again. It cannot hurt but understand now, that it is even harder to get in than the years 2004-2011. You had better chances during those times.

Guard has their own recruiters. Go to the Waterbury armory.

Also, to feel pride, serving is not the only way of getting it.
            Air National Guard age limit is 40. ARNG went down, ANG went up!

Comment

So, he could shoot for the ANG is he re-code is acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                So, he could shoot for the ANG is he re-code is acceptable.
                I don't know

Comment

The short answer is, waivers for mental health conditions are currently in suspension. You can try talking to a recruiter to see if changing your RE/SPD codes are possible. But I agree with the above posters. Getting that changed right now in this enlistment climate is going to be an uphill battle. It never hurts to ask, though, and get some clarification from a recruiter. Good luck.

Here's an excerpt from the latest memorandum on waiver suspensions that pertains to you:

"5. Enlistment waivers or the following mental health conditions: mood disorders to include depression and bipolar disorder, drug or alcohol abuse/dependence as reflected in the Diagnostic Statistical Manual IV (DSM IV), overdose of any medication (prescription or over the counter) in a suicide attempt, any condition involving self mutilation, or any other suicidal attempt or gesture. During the period of the suspension, requests for exceptions will not be considered."

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                    You can try talking to a recruiter to see if changing your RE/SPD codes are possible.
                    Recruiters have nothing to do with changing RE codes. That can only be done by the board of corrections, and on 99.9% of cases, they just simply wont do it.

Comment

Stop being so negative on here. People...IF you are serious about trying to re-enlist, gather all of your paperwork, create a case...Get help from VA or VFW, and then present it to the board. The Board is no worse than the snake pit you walked by everyday in basic. They'll review your case, and make their decision based on the needs of WHERE you're trying to re-enlist. Of course they will also determine WHY you were separated and if they foresee that in your future career.

NOTE: YES, you will need to submit the proper paperwork, BUT DO NOT DO IT ALONE!!!! GET HELP!!

Comment

Originally posted by USAFRaven View Post
                        Stop being so negative on here. People...IF you are serious about trying to re-enlist, gather all of your paperwork, create a case...Get help from VA or VFW, and then present it to the board. The Board is no worse than the snake pit you walked by everyday in basic. They'll review your case, and make their decision based on the needs of WHERE you're trying to re-enlist. Of course they will also determine WHY you were separated and if they foresee that in your future career.

NOTE: YES, you will need to submit the proper paperwork, BUT DO NOT DO IT ALONE!!!! GET HELP!!
                        Thank you for reviving a 5 month old thread. The original poster (OP) has not been on these forums since OCT 2012.
                        Last edited by SF Hunter; March 19th, 2013, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X