X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior active duty want to join NG

I'm an ARMY active duty SGT (E5) at this moment and by the time my contract is done, I would have 13 years, and I have a clean record so far. So my question is: Can I join the NATIONAL GUARD even if I'm not promovable? and if so, do I have to take the ASVAB test again?.
    Thank You!

Re: Prior active duty want to join NG

Originally posted by LEO View Post
    I'm an ARMY active duty SGT (E5) at this moment and by the time my contract is done, I would have 13 years, and I have a clean record so far. So my question is: Can I join the NATIONAL GUARD even if I'm not promovable? and if so, do I have to take the ASVAB test again?.
    Thank You!
    Assuming you meet other enlistment standards your promotable status would not be relevant. There will be some units though that will try to enlist you as an E-4, don't fall for that, just be prepared for that argument.

Someone else can answer the ASVAB question better than me, I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      . There will be some units though that will try to enlist you as an E-4, don't fall for that, just be prepared for that argument.
      The only issue could be if there are no E5 vacancies in his MOS. He may have to look at reclassing or take reduction.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
        The only issue could be if there are no E5 vacancies in his MOS. He may have to look at reclassing or take reduction.
        True...I was speaking of the "good ole boy" system as to the unit wanting to promote their own and not wanting to fill a slot with an outsider.

Comment

True...I was speaking of the "good ole boy" system as to the unit wanting to promote their own and not wanting to fill a slot with an outsider.
          You know...for situations like this, I wouldn't consider that the "good ole boy" system. Why would a unit want to fill a position with an E5 that for all they know could be a turd bag, when they could just as easily promote someone in their unit if they are at the top of the list. If you know exactly who you will get from the list and know they are a good Soldier, that just seems like smart business to me.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
            You know...for situations like this, I wouldn't consider that the "good ole boy" system. Why would a unit want to fill a position with an E5 that for all they know could be a turd bag, when they could just as easily promote someone in their unit if they are at the top of the list. If you know exactly who you will get from the list and know they are a good Soldier, that just seems like smart business to me.
            There are a few pros and cons to these situations. Unfortuantely our promotion and manning system is just far from perfect.

Comment

Unfortuantely our promotion and manning system is just far from perfect.
              Very true...

Comment

I am a prior service 11B, I was an E4 when I got out, with an honorable dicharge in January 2010. I Just wanted to know if I signed up for the guard would I come back in as an E4 and would I have to come back as 11B? I wanted to do 56M, I am called to be a pastor and am going to school to get my degree in biblical ministries and hope to one day be a chaplain. I have a passion for helping vets and there families HOOAH!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                  I am a prior service 11B, I was an E4 when I got out, with an honorable dicharge in January 2010. I Just wanted to know if I signed up for the guard would I come back in as an E4 and would I have to come back as 11B? I wanted to do 56M, I am called to be a pastor and am going to school to get my degree in biblical ministries and hope to one day be a chaplain. I have a passion for helping vets and there families HOOAH!
                  You would have no issue coming back in as E-4. You will have the chance for retraining into another MOS, the question will be do they have vacancies in the unit/area where you are trying to join for 56M.....and a recruiter can answer that for you.

Comment

Thank you for your response, and just to clarify because I didn't inlude it in my original post, I have an RE code of 1 with no medical problems whatsoever. I have also never had an article15 or any other negative counselings on my record.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                      Thank you for your response, and just to clarify because I didn't inlude it in my original post, I have an RE code of 1 with no medical problems whatsoever. I have also never had an article15 or any other negative counselings on my record.
                      With an RE1 and an Honorable Discharge, you are in a really good position to re-enlist. I agree that the next step is to talk to a local recruiter to determine what MOS slots are available to you. Do you have a degree or have ever thought about becoming a Chaplain? I've known Soldiers that held a different MOS while they attended seminary. Once they got a bachelors, they went on to commission as a Chaplain. This is another possible route to consider, too!

For now, though, here's how to get connected to a recruiter and learn about 56M options in your state: Pre-Qualification Form

We have a resident guru on Chaplancy, Chaplain4me. You might try sending him a PM if you have any questions about the field. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you all for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                        X