X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reenlist with 15 year old DUI?

I'm a vet and was planning on joining the Guard, I meet all of the physical and age requirements and vacancies are available for my previous MOS and have a college degree. I spoke a recruiter in my state and it seemed like all was lined up to start submitting paperwork to get the ball rolling. I called another recruiter in the next state over to see what kind of units are available, and he said I would need a waiver for a DUI I got 15 years ago! I got the DUI after I was on active duty while I was in the reserves and before I got activated to active duty for OIF. I don't have any violations since then, I have gone through the security clearance process for a secret and now a TS and hold an active TS and had no problems. I called the 1st recruiter back and he said (DUI hadn't come up the 1st time), that as of Aug 3rd, the Army was not allowing any waivers for DUI. I know it's tough to keep up with the rapidly changing regs and would like to know if anyone has a definite answer.

Thanks in advance,
    SE

Re: Reenlist with 15 year old DUI?

Originally posted by Vet1 View Post
    I'm a vet and was planning on joining the Guard, I meet all of the physical and age requirements and vacancies are available for my previous MOS and have a college degree. I spoke a recruiter in my state and it seemed like all was lined up to start submitting paperwork to get the ball rolling. I called another recruiter in the next state over to see what kind of units are available, and he said I would need a waiver for a DUI I got 15 years ago! I got the DUI after I was on active duty while I was in the reserves and before I got activated to active duty for OIF. I don't have any violations since then, I have gone through the security clearance process for a secret and now a TS and hold an active TS and had no problems. I called the 1st recruiter back and he said (DUI hadn't come up the 1st time), that as of Aug 3rd, the Army was not allowing any waivers for DUI. I know it's tough to keep up with the rapidly changing regs and would like to know if anyone has a definite answer.

Thanks in advance,
    SE
    What state is the DUI conviction from?

Comment

It's from Virginia, I contacted the locality to get the details and they siad they destroy all records after 10 years

Comment

Post deleted until I can verify...
        Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; September 28th, 2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet1 View Post

Thanks in advance,
          SE

The information you were given is correct. The National Guard is not accepting Prior Service applicants with past DUI's regardless of the state or how long ago the charges were.

Comment

Parelegal,

Thanks for the info, funny how the past will haunt...

Comment

Working...
            X