X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reenlistment help

So I am waiting on a discharge upgrade. I got into some trouble. Nothing drug related and I have no criminal record at all but I was reported AWOL and at first did not know I was AWOL but when I found out I got scared and did not know what to do. I did basic at fort Knox and I was a split op in the Kansas army national guard. I was at fort Bennington for my mos portion of training when this happened. I never did jail time and all charges were dropped. I was sent to fort sill to be discharged along with 13 other people. I was the only NG soldier. Another guy was AWOL for six years because he was trying to avoid deploying. They sent him right back to his unit. I however did not want out and begged to stay in but they said they cannot allow that because I was originally NG and was only on AD training status at the time. I want to be in the army more then anything. I don't care about money but I just loved it. I doubt there is much you can do but how do I get back in??? Honestly I have character references and everything but I'm stuck with an RE-4 and OTH...I don't feel it's fair when they sent everyone else that wanted to stay in back to their units but I got the short end of the stick. I have never been in trouble in my life. I enlisted 15Jan10 and was discharged 3Nov11. My father has been in the army for 22-25 years. He is a chaplain now but enlisted as infantry...if you have any advice let me know... Thank you and please only helpful comments if your going to be rude keep scrolling. This is serious. I know I can get back eventually it's a matter of how and when and getting someone to actually help me.
    Last edited by Deltawhiskey777; August 17th, 2012, 01:33 AM. Reason: No personal emails

Re: Reenlistment help

Having a Dad that is a Chaplain is the mother lode of a source of advice.

Your Re-4/OTH is a no-go and bar to getting back in.

Comment

A couple things don't make sense with your story. You say you didn't know you were AWOL, but yet this happened while you were at AIT??? How do you not know you were supposed to be showing up for training?

This isn't like you missed a drill because you forgot what weekend it was, you were at AIT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
        A couple things don't make sense with your story. You say you didn't know you were AWOL, but yet this happened while you were at AIT??? How do you not know you were supposed to be showing up for training?

This isn't like you missed a drill because you forgot what weekend it was, you were at AIT!!!!

I thought the same but then I decided to not drill for more information when I saw that he loved the Army so much.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          Having a Dad that is a Chaplain is the mother lode of a source of advice.

Your Re-4/OTH is a no-go and bar to getting back in.
          This is correct. No Prior Service applicants are being accept with an RE-4 code.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
            This is correct. No Prior Service applicants are being accept with an RE-4 code.
            Except those discharged under DADT

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              Actually, its not the RE-4 so-much but the OTH which is a big NO-GO.

Comment

I think that if you give a recuiter at Fort Bennington a call you could have a chance. Good luck finding one in that location though.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                  I think that if you give a recuiter at Fort Bennington a call you could have a chance. Good luck finding one in that location though.
                  lol. You crack me up ParalegalNCO1. Thanks for making some of my gloomy days bright. And no, this is not man-love Thursday talking.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                    lol. You crack me up ParalegalNCO1. Thanks for making some of my gloomy days bright. And no, this is not man-love Thursday talking.
                    LOL. Well thats where he said he did his AIT. Maybe thats why he was AWOL, cause he couldn't find the base.

Comment

They Sent me on Conleave with a leave form and then reported me AWOL. I didnt find out till I got back after C-Leave. I got back and immediately got a brigade level article 15. Then they had me sit at CQ and said I was being discharged. Taking my fathers advice I signed the papers and the 1sgt asked me where to buy the plane ticket to and I was out of there about 3 weeks later. I got home, got married, and found out Oct. of last year I was still AWOL and that did not seem right. In this process my state abandoned me and was no help and I ended up getting this when it was supposed to be an ELS. The part that comes in where I got scared was when the MP's showed up and they said I was going to Jail but the chaplain there at the time told my commander no or something and they left but they kept attempting to send me to jail. I got scared and decided to take a trip to the hospital with some other guys, which they went awol from there i went back to the unit and then they blamed me. I was just trying to get away for a couple extra hours. I would ask my dad but by taking my parents advice I ended up booted out of the army potentially for the rest of my life with an OTH discharge that I didnt deserve. Also I never signed a single counseling statement but they had counseling statements in my records but none were ever signed even on the copies?

I have been speaking with a VA rep, a governor and a few people retired from the recruiting command that I know personally and they seem to think my training unit had it out for me? I immediately turned myself in when I found out last OCT that I was AWOL and they dropped all charges against me immediately because of the proof I submitted. I also was the only one at a Fort Sill PCF that did not do any jail time. Except for some Sgt there that went awol from korea because he assualted someone. I am not labeled a deserter anywhere at all and pass all background checks. I know people in different states that got back in a year or two ago with the same discharge. They just had a few people pull some strings. I also met a few people at the PCF the got to go back to their units after being away for 4-10 years. yet I was technically only gone for about two months if that and I got screwed? I grew up around the military and if its one thing I know its that anything(paperwork wise) IS possible.

I am waiting to hear from the discharge review board as to when they will meet. I wanna become a cop or a teacher and with this discharge it will be hard to get those jobs without lying about ever being in the military. I am not some thug off the street that missed mommy. I had a job that I loved and had plans to go AD and eventually attend every school I could get into and train in many different MOS' but I got shut down right away. Originally I was supposed to be a 19D and I didnt have any problems until I switched over to Infantry. Is it possible that it could have something to do with the 1sgt knowing my dad? they served together but dont know each other personally? i just know my mom mentioned they did not get along. I guess I will just have to try to enlist OCT 1st. and see if anyone in this country will take me.
                      Last edited by SteveLord; August 17th, 2012, 04:20 AM. Reason: Spaced out the paragraphs to help with reading. ;) -SteveLord

Comment

MP's showed up and they said I was going to Jail but the chaplain there at the time told my commander no or something

-Whats the Chaplains name? Sounds like someone I need to know in case I get in trouble.

I would ask my dad but by taking my parents advice I ended up booted out of the army potentially for the rest of my life with an OTH discharge that I didnt deserve.

-The amount of due process involved with giving someone an OTH discharge is immense. Did you waive all your rights to a board? To a lawyer? Did you sumbit rebuttal documents? Or did you just sign and go and now it is the Army's fault you didn't read what you signed?

Also I never signed a single counseling statement but they had counseling statements in my records but none were ever signed even on the copies?

-Signed counselings is not necessarily a requirement, just the fact that counseling took place.

I have been speaking with a VA rep, a governor

-If you have the governor on speed dial why are you wasting your time with us pee-ons?

I grew up around the military and if its one thing I know its that anything(paperwork wise) IS possible.

-You can think that is you want to, but the chances of you getting back in with an OTH discharge is zero. It ain't happening.

I wanna become a cop or a teacher and with this discharge it will be hard to get those jobs without lying about ever being in the military.

-Cop, probably not. Teacher, don't think this will be an issue.

I guess I will just have to try to enlist OCT 1st. and see if anyone in this country will take me.

-You should spend time and energy on something in life that might actually happen.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                          Ya it's that new invisa-base in Bennington, Vermont!

Comment

Working...
                          X