X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security

Will a DWI from 2001, which was well before I enlisted, deny my chance of getting a security clearance? (I searched a little, but I dont have much time as I am in the MWR and there are a bunch of guys waiting to use the computers, one being an impatient 1SG).
    Last edited by dindelus; August 12th, 2012, 11:57 AM.

Re: Security

Sergeant, talk to your S2.

Comment

If it it happened before you enlisted AND you listed it when you enlisted, that in and of itself should not keep you from from getting a clearance. Now, if you hid that information when you joined, that might be an issue.

Comment

Well, from reading his past posts, he is a 11B and came in back in 2008 and asked questions before about clearances on this thread about his law violations.

He should be 36 by now so I dont know if he is asking for re-classing reasons. He said he got his waivers approved for his past traffic violations but he never mentioned if it was a DUI before.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
          If it it happened before you enlisted AND you listed it when you enlisted, that in and of itself should not keep you from from getting a clearance. Now, if you hid that information when you joined, that might be an issue.
          I'm curious why this scenario would be an issue? Information discovered on security clearance investigations generally cannot be used to take administratvie action on a Soldier by their military unit. (with one or two exceptions..one being Lautenberg)

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
            I'm curious why this scenario would be an issue? Information discovered on security clearance investigations generally cannot be used to take administratvie action on a Soldier by their military unit. (with one or two exceptions..one being Lautenberg)
            Because you have to list all charges when you join, if you lied and said you had no charges, but then later listed a DUI it could raise eyebrows.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
              Because you have to list all charges when you join, if you lied and said you had no charges, but then later listed a DUI it could raise eyebrows.
              As long as you are honest on the security clearance form for when they actually do the clearance investigation it really wouldn't matter. If you lied on an SF 86 from 5 years ago when you joined and didn't really need a clearance, but then fill out a new one today when they actually do the process...you would be fine.

Comment

Hello, yes I listed it when I first came in. Thank you for your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                  Sergeant, talk to your S2.
                  I will. I'm trying to keep it quiet for the time being. I just realized this thread got moved from the Special Forces section. I guess I should have asked will I get denied from trying out for SF because of my DWI, as well as the security clearance.
                  Last edited by dindelus; August 17th, 2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dindelus View Post
                    I will. I'm trying to keep it quiet for the time being. I just realized this thread got moved from the Special Forces section. I guess I should have asked will I get denied from trying out for SF because of my DWI, as well as the security clearance.

Did you see the sticky under the Special Forces forum? There's one that specifically covers the requirements for currently enlisted Soldiers. Here's a direct link: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...s-Requirements.

Based on this, it says that any drug or alcohol related law violation is a disqualification.

Comment

Working...
                    X