Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
A warning from a fellow disgruntled Prior Service if you're considering the Guard Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A warning from a fellow disgruntled Prior Service if you're considering the Guard

Well I'm new to the forums and the Guard. I'm a prior service who fell into the National Guard trap. Due to my high level motivation I'd prefer not to give too much detail about myself. I'm currently very unimpressed with my unit and looking for ways to get into something a little more professional. Of course like all undermanned units they have a nice no one gets out of here policy. I'm trying to grit and bear it in hopes that things will improve as I get used to this new unprofessional group that is still technically part of the American Armed Forces. I'm one of those hard charging prior service guys that wants to kick butt, take names and get any training or school I can. Of course I'm fully MOS qualified so why I on earth would I want to do something silly like Ranger, Airborne, pathfinder etc.. Call me sheltered but I've never smelt alcohol during training before on multiple fellow NCO's breaths'( And I'm not talking the morning after I'm talking I apparently need to start bringing a flask into the field with me to be one of the boys). Maybe I am just venting a little bit here but I'm brand new to my unit and things may very well become more tolerable after a few drills but it certainly isn't at all what I was expecting. My advice to any guys interested in the Guard is try and spend some time around your unit before you find yourself hopelessly mired in a unit that you don't feel comfortable in. Despite all of my current negative feelings I'm one of the squared away guys you hope for and I do my job above and beyond. I'm not some fatbody with a crappy pt score, always missing gear, uniform looks like ****, that disrespects senior NCO's etc.. I'm a professional warrior and I just want to be surrounded by other high caliber individuals not dragged down into the mud.

So I'm currently investigating other more professional slightly higher speed lower drag units and if they can throw me a lifeline and rescue me from my **** so I don't have to reenlist just to escape the Guard. Does anyone have any tips on how to get in a new unit? The guard is so different than I expected can I really just contact units I'm interested in and basically tell them I want a job? Obviously when they have a policy that no one gets out and you're new it's gonna permanently screw you if you bring up transferring out when you're brand new. Then they say **** no and proceed to use and abuse you. Apparently the only escapees from my current detention facility have used a back door and gotten the other units to pull them out rather than use our COC.

Someone say something cheerful or helpful here I'm losing sleep over this. Rant complete.

Re: A warning from a fellow disgruntled Prior Service if you're considering the Guard

drop an sf packet, it dosent get more professional than that

Comment

Re: A warning from a fellow disgruntled Prior Service if you're considering the Guard

I guess some things do not change over the years. First of all, I was in the Army Guard before I joined the Marine Corps and then I went back to the Guard after a long break in service so I knew the differences on the climate, personalities and mindset of the different services.

When I was combat engineer in the CTARNG; there was hazing (tea-bagging), drinking in the PUP tents in the field on a MUTA5 and lack of discipline. Still in my unit; there were outstanding NCOs and PT studs than will get over 300 and this was in the 90s.

So I understand where you are coming from but you just have to see it for what it is and to embrace all the positives the Guard can offer you. Not every unit in the Guard is "unprofessional" in my view and you will assimilate in time.

Believe me, when I came back on active duty for the Army; it was a shock again. I was in the hallway and an SFC asked me a question and I provided an answer with utmost respect and then he barked in my face that I was not at parade rest and did not use the word sergeant in my response. I did not catch an attitude; corrected myself and drove on. This was after I MP re-classed and was a week in my unit. Some prior service already went AWOL because they could not handle the 101st game of PT twice a day if you were not air assault qualified (thrice if you were on pop-PT). Ultimately, it is just a mind game.

If you see things that might disturb you; then handle it appropriately and move on. Because of my high-speed mentality when I came back in the Guard; when they fired an E-6 for being incompetent; they put me (an E-4 at the time) as Squad Leader over an E-5 and other senior E-4s. That will be unheard of in active duty. The next senior guy will get his shot unless for some major reasons (that are dealt with up the chain) then the second senior after that.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 6th, 2012, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BeefTrain View Post
        Well I'm new to the forums and the Guard. I'm a prior service who fell into the National Guard trap. Due to my high level motivation I'd prefer not to give too much detail about myself. I'm currently very unimpressed with my unit and looking for ways to get into something a little more professional. Of course like all undermanned units they have a nice no one gets out of here policy. I'm trying to grit and bear it in hopes that things will improve as I get used to this new unprofessional group that is still technically part of the American Armed Forces. I'm one of those hard charging prior service guys that wants to kick butt, take names and get any training or school I can. Of course I'm fully MOS qualified so why I on earth would I want to do something silly like Ranger, Airborne, pathfinder etc.. Call me sheltered but I've never smelt alcohol during training before on multiple fellow NCO's breaths'( And I'm not talking the morning after I'm talking I apparently need to start bringing a flask into the field with me to be one of the boys). Maybe I am just venting a little bit here but I'm brand new to my unit and things may very well become more tolerable after a few drills but it certainly isn't at all what I was expecting. My advice to any guys interested in the Guard is try and spend some time around your unit before you find yourself hopelessly mired in a unit that you don't feel comfortable in. Despite all of my current negative feelings I'm one of the squared away guys you hope for and I do my job above and beyond. I'm not some fatbody with a crappy pt score, always missing gear, uniform looks like ****, that disrespects senior NCO's etc.. I'm a professional warrior and I just want to be surrounded by other high caliber individuals not dragged down into the mud.

So I'm currently investigating other more professional slightly higher speed lower drag units and if they can throw me a lifeline and rescue me from my **** so I don't have to reenlist just to escape the Guard. Does anyone have any tips on how to get in a new unit? The guard is so different than I expected can I really just contact units I'm interested in and basically tell them I want a job? Obviously when they have a policy that no one gets out and you're new it's gonna permanently screw you if you bring up transferring out when you're brand new. Then they say **** no and proceed to use and abuse you. Apparently the only escapees from my current detention facility have used a back door and gotten the other units to pull them out rather than use our COC.

Someone say something cheerful or helpful here I'm losing sleep over this. Rant complete.
        If you like we can trade places!

Comment

Originally posted by 82ndnstuff View Post
          drop an sf packet, it dosent get more professional than that
          This is actually a really good suggestion. There are only a handful of them in the nation, but if you're really high speed you could also look for a LARS unit.

Like the others suggested, if you can't move out of the unit, your best course of action is to be the difference you want to see. Make it a goal. In the end, you'll be the better Soldier for it, and when you can finally change units, you'll have some good leadership experience.

Comment

Working...
          X