X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prior service.....reclass on short notice

i just joined the guard again, about a month and a half ago. my second drill, they said i am going to FT Lee for reclass, in less than a week. I had no idea, and I don't feel ready.

I have barely nothing on the atarrs checklist, my unit did not even do one. what should I do?

I feel ready for the apft, but I am nervous? what happens with that? I have never taken one on such short notice?

what if I don't have alot of the required equiptment?......what should I bring?

thank you.

Re: prior service.....reclass on short notice

Originally posted by dill83 View Post
    i just joined the guard again, about a month and a half ago. my second drill, they said i am going to FT Lee for reclass, in less than a week. I had no idea, and I don't feel ready.

I have barely nothing on the atarrs checklist, my unit did not even do one. what should I do?

I feel ready for the apft, but I am nervous? what happens with that? I have never taken one on such short notice?

what if I don't have alot of the required equiptment?......what should I bring?

thank you.
    I am always a little suspicious of stories where soldiers claim, "I had no idea.", they generally turn out to be, "I wasn't really paying attention". It may not be the situation at all in your particular case, and a breakdown in the NCO chain, but it's moot.

The fact is, in some ways you "lucked out." Many prior service soldiers can languish for months or even years being perpetually un-reclassed. Instead you are getting a AD AIT at Fort Leisure...I mean Lee. Personally, I would be thrilled.

Also, Fort Lee is a TRADOC post. Anything you don't have will be issued by CIF when you get there. (Oh, and returned when you leave).

As for PT? Are you concerned about passing? Passing is pretty easy. A few weeks of regular PT should get you to the point of hitting the minimums if you aren't already there.

Comment

They told you a month and a half ago and you leave in a week. Sounds to me like you had almost 2 months notice...whats the problem? Those checklist tend to be all inclusive and you probably won't even need most of it. Just go with what the unit as given you and you should be fine. They cant fault you for something not issued. Remember, this is just a re-class, not ranger school. Just go enjoy your vacation at Ft Lee.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        I am always a little suspicious of stories where soldiers claim, "I had no idea.", they generally turn out to be, "I wasn't really paying attention". It may not be the situation at all in your particular case, and a breakdown in the NCO chain, but it's moot.

The fact is, in some ways you "lucked out." Many prior service soldiers can languish for months or even years being perpetually un-reclassed. Instead you are getting a AD AIT at Fort Leisure...I mean Lee. Personally, I would be thrilled.

Also, Fort Lee is a TRADOC post. Anything you don't have will be issued by CIF when you get there. (Oh, and returned when you leave).

As for PT? Are you concerned about passing? Passing is pretty easy. A few weeks of regular PT should get you to the point of hitting the minimums if you aren't already there.
        Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
        They told you a month and a half ago and you leave in a week. Sounds to me like you had almost 2 months notice...whats the problem? Those checklist tend to be all inclusive and you probably won't even need most of it. Just go with what the unit as given you and you should be fine. They cant fault you for something not issued. Remember, this is just a re-class, not ranger school. Just go enjoy your vacation at Ft Lee.
        +1 to these posts. You were in the Guard before so you know the drill when it comes to PT. You cannot use the short notice excuse as a soldier. If I was your first line and you did not pass a PT test based on the checklist; you will simply lose your chance.

Comment

Working...
        X