X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine Corps Active Duty to National Guard

I am an E-6 in the Marine Corps with 11years in the infantry and am looking at going into the CA National Guard next year. I am very interested into going into the Military Intelligence Field, more specifically the 35M Human Intelligence Collector field. After talking to a recruiter I will pobrably be looking at going down a rank to E-5 which is ok with me, the intelligence field is something that I am very interested in pursuing. I am looking for any prior service Marines that have crossed over to the National Guard so I can get a heads up on what to expect. Also if anyone can shed some light on the 35M MOS pertaining to specific requirements.

Re: Marine Corps Active Duty to National Guard

Originally posted by tacomaparris View Post
    I am an E-6 in the Marine Corps with 11years in the infantry and am looking at going into the CA National Guard next year. I am very interested into going into the Military Intelligence Field, more specifically the 35M Human Intelligence Collector field. After talking to a recruiter I will pobrably be looking at going down a rank to E-5 which is ok with me, the intelligence field is something that I am very interested in pursuing. I am looking for any prior service Marines that have crossed over to the National Guard so I can get a heads up on what to expect. Also if anyone can shed some light on the 35M MOS pertaining to specific requirements.
    I think you're much better off in the USAR for a whole host of reasons:

-Educational benefits of the CA ARNG aren't that great.
    -Promotion is much faster in the USAR. You probably won't lose any rank.
    -You're looking at a 35 series MOS and there are some Airborne MI (or it could be Civil Affairs) units in the USAR.

Comment

Thank you for your service thus far Marine!
      There are a few USMC vets that I've enlisted. They all seem happy.
      One is a 15T
      One is a 13B
      One is a 46R
      Google "ARMY MOS 35M, video". Hopefully that will help your concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        I think you're much better off in the USAR for a whole host of reasons:

-Educational benefits of the CA ARNG aren't that great.
        -Promotion is much faster in the USAR. You probably won't lose any rank.
        -You're looking at a 35 series MOS and there are some Airborne MI (or it could be Civil Affairs) units in the USAR.
        +1. Devil Dog, before you take a voluntary reduction, explore your options. I did not and it stagnated my career progress. I caught up but it was no easy feat. You worked hard for that rocker and promotion in the reserve components are much slower so consider it.

Comment

I'm a former Devil Dog. I didn't lose rank, although the USMCR was offering me a promotion if I joined them under my MOS. The only thing that the Guard won me over in is the ability to do work within my community during disasters or special events. Anyhow, losing rank isn't a hard thing to deal with in the Guard. It's a different military...or should I say a more relaxed military than active duty USMC. Rank matters, sure...but in my unit we're more buddy-buddy with people than tactful due to rank. You get more respect by knowing your job and performing well, than what rank you wear on your chest (yep...no more collar chevrons).

I had some difficulty at first with the transition. Mostly because of the lax conditions I was put in, which added to lax standards. It all depends on the unit you're assigned. As for me, I was nit-picking all the infractions I was witnessing...which alienated me from the rest of the unit. It wasn't until I just kicked back a bit, did soldiers start to warm up to me. Now don't all of you take it that I'm in a cruddy unit or what I say is the norm across the board. It's just my experiences with my unit. Generally the professionalism is still there...people still want to be soldiers...but it's not a permanent lifestyle to many (unless you're AGR) that you find with active duty. The terminology used is different too, and a couple times I caught myself saying Oo-Rah to others bewilderment. But you'll get used to it. There's a lot...and I do mean A LOT...of former Marines in the Guard. Especially if you're in an infantry company! You being infantry in the Marines...you now have the great opportunity to lead by example that some of these soldiers really do need. But my best advise is to not toss the Marines down their throat. Just show them what it takes to be a soldier. It's the best way to be a soldier on the outside, but still a Marine on the inside.

Comment

Feel free to hit me up some time. I recently EAS'd in Dec 2011 from the corps as a SSgt and will be attending my first drill in the NY ARNG this weekend. I was an 0231 in the Corps and I'm currently crossing over to fill an Intel ARNG warrant officer position (awaiting a date to attend WOCS). If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. I'm looking forward to seeing what my first drill weekend will be like, only crazy thing is that I still don't have any uniforms lol.

Comment

I think the biggest thing is the mindset, you know how Marines are so I am trying to calm it down before I get into the ARNG. Also the fact that if I want to get into the Intel/HUMIT field I have to go down a rank to an E5 scares me a little. Its a big step but hopefully it will be worth it. From what alot of people have told me it is a very respectable organization and alot of Marines are a part of it.

Comment

For Prior Service Marines, be sure to check out the National Guard website for a general guideline for transferring to the National Guard: http://bit.ly/MCGHa0

Comment

Working...
                X