Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current active Army thinking going guard.

Hey all First post, got some questions that no ones answered as of yet.
    A little about myself.
    24 year old SPC-Promotable, no negative counseling statements, or negative actions at all. Active duty from 4ID 4IBCT 2-77FA Fort Carson CO, MOS 13D, GT score 111, PT score 319, weapons qual 37. Warrior Leader Course graduate. I know most of that doesn’t matter just extra info. Been in for coming up on 4 years, and extended my ETS date to deploy again one last time with my current unit.

My questions are:
    Do I get to pick a state? AKA I'm from New York but I want to be a part of different states ARNG.
    Do I get to pick a new MOS to Reclass into?
    Does that MOS I choose make going to a certain state not possible due to quotas and man power?
    During my ACAP when I sign over do I get to keep my CAC card and extend it with new ARNG ETS since I’m right in Fort Carson?

I understand that I could get most of these answered from a recruiter. But I am currently deployed and getting a hold of one is easier said than done.

If I could get someone to even give me half answers to most of these questions then it would point me in the right direction and help me out considerably.

Re: Current active Army thinking going guard.

1. Yes, join wherever you want.
    2. You may pick an available MOS for which you qualify.
    3. In the active component, they'll send you to a unit based on your MOS. I the Guard, it's different, because first you decide where to live, which then limits your options for units, which then limits your options for MOS.
    4. I can't answer that in detail. Hopefully someone else can address that.

Comment

Roger Sir, Appreciate the information. I understand there must be a bunch of questions asked per day, now I'm pointed in a pretty good direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman13 View Post
        Hey all First post, got some questions that no ones answered as of yet.
        A little about myself.
        24 year old SPC-Promotable, no negative counseling statements, or negative actions at all. Active duty from 4ID 4IBCT 2-77FA Fort Carson CO, MOS 13D, GT score 111, PT score 319, weapons qual 37. Warrior Leader Course graduate. I know most of that doesn’t matter just extra info. Been in for coming up on 4 years, and extended my ETS date to deploy again one last time with my current unit.

My questions are:
        Do I get to pick a state? AKA I'm from New York but I want to be a part of different states ARNG.
        Do I get to pick a new MOS to Reclass into?
        Does that MOS I choose make going to a certain state not possible due to quotas and man power?
        During my ACAP when I sign over do I get to keep my CAC card and extend it with new ARNG ETS since I’m right in Fort Carson?

I understand that I could get most of these answered from a recruiter. But I am currently deployed and getting a hold of one is easier said than done.

If I could get someone to even give me half answers to most of these questions then it would point me in the right direction and help me out considerably.
        Welcome to the forum. We chew the same dirt. I was with some of your buddies at Torkham and mostly spending time with the 1-12 and 2-12 INF.

Keep your head down soldier.

PM me if you like.

Comment

The best resource to transition from Active Duty Army to the Army National Guard is to talk with a Reserve Component Career Counselor (RCCC) located on all Army posts, usually in the same location as ACAP or post out processing. You can begin the process 180 days prior to your ETS date.

Comment

When are you attending ACAP? Since you are not retireing, you can start ACAP up to one year before seperation. You can also start it up to 180 days after seperation, longer if there is room. Once seperated, and in an ARNG unit, you will need a new card.
            Last edited by WIBecky74; April 10th, 2012, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Once I redeploy I will have around 4-6 (give or take) months to ACAP (ETS:01-04-2013) . The reason behind this is because I extended for this deployment. Its a pretty different situation from what I'm normally reading in other peoples posts on this site. @SF Hunter, roger I'll get with a Reserve Component Career Counselor as soon as I get back. God willing I can re class to 11x or 13f and have some more fun in the Army, but still have a family life.

Comment

Working...
              X