X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD to AGR (NC,SC,orVA)

I want to switch from AD to AGR but wanted to get some more information if anyone else has done it. I am an E5, have a secret, no issues since I have been in(some from before). I am a 13B but I know there aren't many FA jobs on the AGR side. Do I need to join NG and try to re-class through them? I want to join either NC,SC, or maybe VA. Since I am trying to join AGR, is it taking a risk to try and find an open slot? I just want to see if anyone has been through this process to help with some guidance on the best possible way to guarantee a slot, love the Army but just want some stabilization in one state and a chance to get involved in something more towards the degree plan I am going for (Homeland Security). I not only wanted some advice on how to get into AGR but was hoping I could be persuaded to either reenlist into AD or chance getting into AGR.
    Just a little more info:
    fenced in for the next 10 months
    ETS in 12 months
    Thanks for any answers or advice

Re: AD to AGR (NC,SC,orVA)

Just like Active Duty, the National Guard is taking a big loss in their full time force. The majority of AGR jobs are in Logistics (Admin, Supply, Intel, with a variety of random jobs that rarely open up with different MOS's like 25B, 27D, 74D, etc).

Here is one of Virginia's AGR announcements.

QUALIFICATIONS FOR ENTRY IN THE AGR PROGRAM:
    MEMBERSHIP: When applying for an AGR position on full-time National Guard duty (FTNGD) under State control, must be a federally recognized ARNGUS soldier. Appointment, or enlistment, must be completed prior to reporting to an initial AGR entry point.
    AGE: If an enlisted soldier, must be 18 years of age and not have reached his or her 55th birthday.
    PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL: Must be medically certified as drug free, be
    tested negative for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), per AR 40-
    JFHQ-VA-J1-M
    SUBJECT: VaARNG AGR Vacancy Announcement Number 22-12
    501 and AR 600-110. Must meet the body composition standards prescribed in AR 600-9. Must meet the medical fitness standards forretention per AR 40-501, chapter 3 in AR 600-9. Must meet the medical fitness standards for retention per AR 40-501, chapter 3.
    MILITARY EDUCATION: If an enlisted soldier, must have completed initial entry training (IET)
    YEARS OF SERVICE: Must be able to complete a 3-year initial tour of AD or FTNGD prior to completing 18 years of AS. The date of mandatory removal from an active status based on age, or service (without an extensions), under any provisions of law or regulation.
    REENLISTMENT OR EXTENSION: If an enlisted soldier, must be eligible for reenlistment or extension per NGR 600-200 (ARNGUS).
    ADMINISTRATIVE REQUIREMENT: Must sign an appropriate certificate of agreement and understanding relative to service on AGR status.
    HOW TO APPLY: Interested applicants must submit the following documents:
    1. Completed NGB Form 34-1 (signed and dated)
    2. Copies of last five consecutive NCOERs. If you are a new E-5 and have not yet received an NCOER, or an E4 submit a letter of recommendation from your commander.
    3. Certified copy of DA Form 2-1 or Enlisted Record Brief (ERB). Certified means having your unit of assignment certify a “True Copy” and a signature not older than 1 year.
    4. Copy of current physical (DD2807-1 and DD2808 completed within the last five years or copy of the automated MEDPROS data print-out dated within one year.
    5. Photograph in Class A or Blue Army Service Uniform (ASU) taken within the last 12 months. DA Photo not required.
    Photo must be 5x7 or larger and ¾ length to insure visibility of the front of the uniform. Photo must be dated.
    NOTE:
    Deployed applicant’s photo may be taken in ACUs.
    If applicant has not been issued the Class A or ASU, photo may be taken in ACUs. However you must provide a memo from your Supply SGT, 1SG or commander as to why you do not have the required uniform.
    JFHQ-VA-J1-M
    SUBJECT: VaARNG AGR Vacancy Announcement Number 22-12
    6. Documentation to support all periods of duty/service creditable for retirement. Any of the following may be used DD Forms 214, DA Form 1506, or NGB Forms
    23/23B).
    7. Any additions information the applicant may wish to submit for consideration (i.e., DA Form 705, Height and Weight Statement, etc.).
    SECURITY CLEARANCE: Position requires a “SECRET” security clearance. Must be able to obtain as a minimum, an “interim” clearance prior to appointment to the position. Soldiers with a prior revoked or denied clearance are not eligible for either an interim or a waiver and should not apply. If tentatively selected for a position and soldier cannot be granted an interim clearance prior to appointment to the position, the offer for the position may be revoked. Non USA citizens are not eligible for a security clearance per DOD 5200.2R.
    QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Must meet all selection criteria IAW NGR 601-1, 600-200, 600-5, 600-10 and AR 135-18.
    SPECIAL INFORMATION: Incomplete applications submitted for this vacancy announcement will not be considered.
    Applicants are responsible for maintaining current information on their application. Failure to provide current information may result in non-referral for consideration.
    REMARKS: Submit applications to this HQ, ATTN: JFHQ-VA-J1-M, PRN: 210, 5901 Beulah Road, Sandston, Virginia 23150, NLT close of business on the closing date of this announcement. Do not submit application packets in notebooks, folders, document protectors or with any other form of binding. Scanned or faxed applications will not be accepted.

It's a very tough program to get in to. You will be competing with people who already have the MOS, who already knows the company, may even know the people on the board. As long as you know your ****, you'll be fine. Confidence is the key.

But if it comes down to: AGR vs AD and you NEED the support...I would re-enlist AD because AGR is such a hard thing to come by.

Comment

Yeah, 13B AGR positions are few and far between. Oddly enough, we just had an E6 training NCO position advertised here in virginia, but that doesn't do you any good since you dont ETS for another year. Also, it would be tough coming in from out of state. Networking is a big key to obtaining a position. That is not to say it is a "good ole boy" network at all. Just rather that people hire who they are more familiar with or know people that refer people. Thats the same way in any civilian occupation too.

Comment

What you (and many active component Soldiers) want is to transition seamlessly from active duty to AGR. While no law or regulation prevents that, the system isn't designed to do that. It's designed to take M-Day (part-time) Guardsmen and put them on AGR. Therefore, timing is a tremendous problem for people in your situation. I recommend getting a civilian job, joining the Guard in a traditional status, and then pursue AGR from there. Don't make any plans presuming that you'll get on AGR status, particularly within a certain timeframe.

Comment

My old neighbor in Europe is an SGT (He is now stationed at Fort Sill) and was recently approved for an AGR position. You have to go to the HRC website and apply from there. There is no guarantee because I put an app in on every annual that I am eligible and no response.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            My old neighbor in Europe is an SGT (He is now stationed at Fort Sill) and was recently approved for an AGR position. You have to go to the HRC website and apply from there. There is no guarantee because I put an app in on every annual that I am eligible and no response.

Good luck.
            If he's applying through HRC, then he's applying for AGR with the Army Reserve. That is a completely federal force, which still means PCS assignments worldwide. Many active component Soldiers prefer the Guard, because they'll only involuntarily PCS within a single state.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
              If he's applying through HRC, then he's applying for AGR with the Army Reserve. That is a completely federal force, which still means PCS assignments worldwide. Many active component Soldiers prefer the Guard, because they'll only involuntarily PCS within a single state.
              And based on the LTC's response, OP; the assumption is when you mention AGR on a Guard forum; they will assume the Guard. But you can apply for a AGR assignment in the Reserves as well.

And you are right about the PCS assignments but many AGR that are in the reserve side have the option to remain in a certain location (similar to stabilization) if they request. That what was told to me by a LTC who is a AGR (right now in Germany) but was previously in Pennsylvannia. He wished to come overseas and could of remained in Pennsylvannia if he wanted but he did not like the assignment and was looking for a deploying unit.

Comment

You have to know people.

Comment

Working...
                X