X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Service Marine to CA National Guard questions

I have been thinking about getting back into the service for awhile now, and finally took the step to fill out all the info in the Path to Honor system and now am just waiting to hear from a recruiter. I have many questions for the recruiter, but figured I could start here with some of them.

A little background. I am 34 and served active duty USMC as an 1833 (Amphibious Assault Vehicle Crewchief) for 4 years. 02/97 through 02/01 I was an E4 (Cpl) for the last 22 months of my service. Honorable Discharge and my reentry code is RE-A1

I know it's a long shot but would the 1833 MOS transfer over to any MOS in the National Guard?

What are the chances of keeping my E4 rank?

From my research, it looks like I shouldn't have to go to BCT, but more than likely will have to pick an mos and go to AIT since my MOS won't transfer. How do service members get all their uniforms and gear if they don't go to BCT? I'm guessing they do not want you showing up at AIT with no uniforms or gear.

Camp San Luis is about 5 minutes away, and I doubt my MOS will transfer anyways, so will my recruiter be able to let me know what MOS would get me stationed at Camp San Luis?

Thanks

Re: Prior Service Marine to CA National Guard questions

Marine, you drove Amtracs? My best buddy in the Corps did. Have you looked at the reserves as well? Prior service recruiting has limited options at the time.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 20th, 2012, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Yes, I'm a Tracker! I haven't looked into the Marine Reserves yet, mainly because, I know that the nearest Amtrac Reserve Platoon is out of Galveston, TX which just wouldn't be feasible to do. That commute would get old quick. Might be worth double checking though, just to make sure they haven't moved one to Camp Pendleton.

Comment

I meant Army Reserves because my buddy is a recruiter and they are looking at prior service applicants at this time to fill up their ranks.

Comment

I haven't thought about that, I guess it wouldn't hurt to look into it. Would I have to redo BCT since it has been 11 years since I got out? I will try to find out what reserve units are around here.

Comment

I opened this thread a while back that will answer your question.

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...=prior-service

Comment

Thanks, I actually just got done reading that one. Looks like I'd be fine, unless I wanted to go active duty Army.

So how does a prior service Marine aquire all the required gear/uniforms prior to going to AIT, since they don't go to BCT? Do they get everything issued at AIT?

Comment

Someone might have a different experience but either your unit will have your supply sergeant order it for you or when I came back on active duty; a former marine was given paperwork to go to clothing and sales and receive an initial issue.

Comment

Funny how a post can take one second and the next require mod approval haha.

I stated that your new unit will have the supply sergeant order it for you or like I saw on active-duty; a former marine that was reclassing with us received paperwork that was signed by the commandant to get an initial issue at the post's clothing and sales.
                  Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 20th, 2012, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Talked to a rep at Path to Honor on Tuesday to double check some things on the packet and he signed off on my packet and sent it to the recruiter and said I should hear from him soon. Haven't heard anything yet, how long does it normally take to hear from the recruiter after filling out the path to honor packet?

Comment

Working...
                      X