Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Waivers and Secret Clearance Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Waivers and Secret Clearance

    I have been trying to enlist into the Indiana National Guard since August of last year (2011). I need a waiver for RE3 (Honorable Discharge). I have an RE3 because I requested an early discharge for the good of the Army which was approved under secretarial authority. I requested the early discharge because i was offered a job with a government contractor and had to start right away. The early discharge was for release 3 months early. My recruiter has been non-responsive for the most part unless I make a complaint. If I make a complaint he works on my paperwork for a little then I dont hear from him.

    I have been waiting for my security clearance to come back for over a month now so he can submit the waiver. I am completely frustraited with this process and frustraited at being at the recruiters mercy in handling my paperwork. I'm positive he sat on my waiver so long because he didnt know what to do so he did nothing until i complained. I realize he just processes the paperwork. However, like I said in the beginning, its been now 6 months and my waiver still isnt submitted. There is always one excuse or another.

    How long does it take to get an answer on your security clearance?
    How long does it take for the NGB RE3 waiver to get approved (or denied)?

    I served on active duty for nearly 10 years and had only stellar NCOERs and PT scores. I will have my Bachelor's Degree in a matter of months now. I cannot see why the waiver would get denied but I'm afraid that the more time passes the NG will not accept waivers anylonger (if they havent stopped already).

    Any suggestions on what I should do?

  • #2
    Re: Waivers and Secret Clearance

    That is truly amazing that they will receive an RE-3 because your early request for discharge was approved and voluntary. That does not make sense.

    Just remember prior-service recruiting is going through a lot of changes now and a recruiter will answer your question.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Waivers and Secret Clearance

      Originally posted by Djordje View Post
      I have been trying to enlist into the Indiana National Guard since August of last year (2011). I need a waiver for RE3 (Honorable Discharge). I have an RE3 because I requested an early discharge for the good of the Army which was approved under secretarial authority. I requested the early discharge because i was offered a job with a government contractor and had to start right away. The early discharge was for release 3 months early. My recruiter has been non-responsive for the most part unless I make a complaint. If I make a complaint he works on my paperwork for a little then I dont hear from him.

      I have been waiting for my security clearance to come back for over a month now so he can submit the waiver. I am completely frustraited with this process and frustraited at being at the recruiters mercy in handling my paperwork. I'm positive he sat on my waiver so long because he didnt know what to do so he did nothing until i complained. I realize he just processes the paperwork. However, like I said in the beginning, its been now 6 months and my waiver still isnt submitted. There is always one excuse or another.

      How long does it take to get an answer on your security clearance?
      How long does it take for the NGB RE3 waiver to get approved (or denied)?

      I served on active duty for nearly 10 years and had only stellar NCOERs and PT scores. I will have my Bachelor's Degree in a matter of months now. I cannot see why the waiver would get denied but I'm afraid that the more time passes the NG will not accept waivers anylonger (if they havent stopped already).

      Any suggestions on what I should do?
      Im with cityslick on this one. If this is accuratte I am questioning whether or not they seperated you properly and if that RE3 is correct. Please pull your dd214 and post the information from the following thre sections: narratve reason, seperation code, and seperation authority.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Waivers and Secret Clearance

        Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        Im with cityslick on this one. If this is accuratte I am questioning whether or not they seperated you properly and if that RE3 is correct. Please pull your dd214 and post the information from the following thre sections: narratve reason, seperation code, and seperation authority.
        separation code: KFF
        Narative Reason: Secretarial Authority
        Separation Authority: AR 635-200 Para 5-3
        RE3
        Honorable Discharge
        Last edited by Djordje; April 3rd, 2012, 03:31 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Waivers and Secret Clearance

          Background completed and my waiver has been at NGB since February 1st. I'm surprised there is no standard timeframe that waivers should be approved within. I have been very disappointed with the lack of standards when processing paperwork. I hope this experience is not a reflection of the NG as a whole. I started this process of enlisting in August '11.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Waivers and Secret Clearance

            Originally posted by Djordje View Post
            I have been waiting for my security clearance to come back for over a month now so he can submit the waiver....How long does it take to get an answer on your security clearance?
            My background is very clean relative to other soldiers who receive security clearances; mine took ~9 months.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Waivers and Secret Clearance

              Originally posted by Djordje View Post
              Background completed and my waiver has been at NGB since February 1st. I'm surprised there is no standard timeframe that waivers should be approved within. I have been very disappointed with the lack of standards when processing paperwork. I hope this experience is not a reflection of the NG as a whole. I started this process of enlisting in August '11.
              The delay in the processing of your paperwork is pretty much the standard. Some people wait for more than a year for a waiver, not saying you will. Fear not, no news is good news.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Waivers and Secret Clearance

                Originally posted by Djordje View Post
                separation code: KFF
                Narative Reason: Secretarial Authority
                Separation Authority: AR 635-200 Para 5-3
                RE3
                Honorable Discharge
                How much do you want to bet there is a "K" on the back of that RE-3.

                Just so the forum is tracking, Secretarial Authority is the most common change from a discharge that has been adjusted by the board of corrections. They frequently use the RE Code of RE3K to rectify some other form of narrative that is now covered up by an honorable or some other form of upgrade.

                Long story short, this guy got kicked out.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Waivers and Secret Clearance

                  Originally posted by Djordje View Post
                  Background completed and my waiver has been at NGB since February 1st. I'm surprised there is no standard timeframe that waivers should be approved within. I have been very disappointed with the lack of standards when processing paperwork. I hope this experience is not a reflection of the NG as a whole. I started this process of enlisting in August '11.
                  I have been saying this since 1983 hahaha!!

                  Right now I am in a BUB and sections are still trying to get on the same page after fighting over ten years of war in Afghanistan.

                  DON'T REINVENT THE WHEEL!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Waivers and Secret Clearance

                    Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                    How much do you want to bet there is a "K" on the back of that RE-3.

                    Just so the forum is tracking, Secretarial Authority is the most common change from a discharge that has been adjusted by the board of corrections. They frequently use the RE Code of RE3K to rectify some other form of narrative that is now covered up by an honorable or some other form of upgrade.

                    Long story short, this guy got kicked out.
                    TO: ParalegalNCO1:

                    It is unfortunate that you make these accusations. If there were a "k" on my RE-3 I would have said there was a "k" when you asked what my DD214 said and I listed verbatum what it said! LONG STORY SHORT - I was NOT kicked out.

                    So don't be so confident that you know every one situation! Learn some professionalism.

                    "Just so the forum is tracking":

                    I spent just about 10 years on Active Duty serving and NEVER had a bad mark. I REQUESTED a 3 month early discharge under Secretarial Authority to except a position as a Civilian Government Contract Recruiter with the Company Resource Consultants. Had I known that Secretarial Authority would have given me an RE3 I dont konw if I would have gone that route. In addition, I did not foresee myself trying to get into the NG when I requested the early discharge so it wouldnt have mattered anyway.

                    On a lighter note to those that are not quick to judge my situation:

                    I appreciate everyone elses input. As of today my recruiter says my waiver is still pending and according to him, there is only 1 person that handles all administrative waivers (Secretarial Authority waivers) at NGB for all states.

                    Like I said in the beginning, coming from the Active Army, I am surprised that there is not a specific "turn-around" time for paperwork with the NG. I would have never guessed my waiver would be in one office for 3 months straight.

                    I guess as one person on the forum said, No news is not necessarily bad!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Waivers and Secret Clearance

                      I joined the Indiana National Guard with an RE-3 code from the Marine Corps. I will make no secrets about it, I was kicked out. There was a reason, but it is irrelevant. The reason was not that significant and the paperwork really outweighed the actual course of events. The waiver took months to get. My issue was so minor that I was eventually allowed to go to OCS. My point is this, I had to wait until we had a new fully blown war going on and people were in demand. I deployed twice, and I am getting ready for my third soon. But the point is the war was riskier and people were needed. I may have been to the mid east so much that I just feel at home with it now, but to me the conditions have drastically improved - even in Afghanistan. So, the bottom line is you might get in, but more than likely you probably won't - but if you stick with it and are really determined, then the time might eventually come where they need those bodies again.

                      One last thing, I had to wait so long for my waiver to come through that I had actually called the recruiters office to tell him to return my stuff. I was sick of waiting and just did not want to forget what documents he had. It was then that he did one last check and called back to tell me my waiver had been approved.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X