Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Husband is thinking of re-enlisting, Question!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband is thinking of re-enlisting, Question!

My husband did 5 years active duty 11B, with a 14 month deployment. He then switched to 1 year National Guard. He tried getting back into active duty 2 years ago, but they needed to keep their numbers up and refused to release him.
    He just recently lost his first Civilian job outside of the military(which I think was a blow to him), and is thinking about going back into the Reserves/National Guard, to help bring in some extra income, as he says. But, I think he misses the general atmosphere. He is currently using his GI bill to get his Degree in Networking and Communications and already has one Certificate for that degree.
    He knows he needs to loose weight(haha I feed him well!), but I was wondering, if he does go in, he would have to go back in as 11B, correct?
    Will having his degree program help him in any way to translate that into the military? Say, after his 2 years?
    My next question is, would he be able to pick up rank when he goes in? Or wait for the slot to open? Or, does that depend on the Unit he is in?
    Lastly, what type of bonuses are available to him?

Thank you for any information!

P.S..any suggestions on how he can loose the weight quickly, as is his goal, would be most appreciated! I've been watching what I make..but men..you guys are never full.

Re: Husband is thinking of re-enlisting, Question!

Is he honorably discharged? Or is he on the IRR now?

Don't count on bonuses. Getting back in as an 11B would be easier no doubt, as there are more units that have them. Also, I can imagine the Guard isn't too supportive of taking people in just to pay to have them reclassed into another job.

Comment

Welcome to the Guard forums. This is a great resource with a ton of information and many people who have had the same issues/concerns/questions as your husband. you should encourage him to create an account with the forum.

Comment

I dunno. Maybe its just my skewed view on relationships, I dont get why there are so many wives up in here asking questions. Where is the husband if he is so eager to rejoin to bring in extra income? It looks as if the wifey may be talking him into joining for that extra income. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          I dunno. Maybe its just my skewed view on relationships, I dont get why there are so many wives up in here asking questions. Where is the husband if he is so eager to rejoin to bring in extra income? It looks as if the wifey may be talking him into joining for that extra income. Just my two cents.
          +1. I doubt the Walmart forum has these issues. Plus his certificate is in computers so he can navigate the website. In my decades of service, the only time the Mrs gets involved is in FRG meetings or at the annual ball. She doesn't even watch the show Army Wives.
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 12th, 2012, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            +1. I doubt the Walmart forum has these issues. Plus his certificate is in computers so he can navigate the website. In my decades of service, the only time the Mrs gets involved is in FRG meetings or at the annual ball. She doesn't even watch the show Army Wives.
            There is always a hidden agenda with wifey questions....ALWAYS.

Comment

Working...
            X