Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Transfer to USAR from ANG

Hello All,

If I were to attend a state RTI Traditional OCS program and commission. Would it later be possible to transfer to USAR if I wanted to? I'm sure the response will first be "Why would you ever want to do that" and to that I answer... "Faster Promotion". There is no such weekend OCS program in the USAR that I'm aware of. I'd have to go that route due to the demands of my civilian job.

This forum is not as active as it use to be. Perhaps, it is the new look that caused people to fall off (I miss Stevelord and Paralegal). There is an LT who is in the Reserves at https://forums.goarmy.com/index.jspa and he can give you some excellent advice.

Comment

Yes you can transition to the USAR at a latter date.

Comment

Good luck with the faster promotion. Tell us how that works out.

Don't join the Guard just for the traditional OCS program if you have plans to leave as soon as you can. Join the USAR, and have your commander send you to the ARNG weekend OCS. It's a TASS course, he can send you if he wants to. We have had active component Soldiers complete the weekend course as well.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          Good luck with the faster promotion. Tell us how that works out.
          Sir, you do realize the FY15 CPT APL board, NGB is requiring another year TIG vs USAR. So yes, USAR is promoting faster. The Guard has a lot of selling points, officer promotions isn't one of them.

Comment

A TASS course Sir? Would you happen to know the board and/or selection process for going to the Traditional course while in the USAR? I'm currently in the USAR.

Comment

The Army School System.

http://www.knox.army.mil/partners/tass/Default.aspx

As the LTC stated, it's possible. There was a USAR candidate in the class before mine. How you would do it, well not too sure. You would probably have to work with HRC so they don't schedule you for federal OCS.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post

Sir, you do realize the FY15 CPT APL board, NGB is requiring another year TIG vs USAR. So yes, USAR is promoting faster. The Guard has a lot of selling points, officer promotions isn't one of them.
                https://www.hrc.army.mil/Milper/14-213

A. MANDATORY DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY PROMOTION SELECTION BOARDS WILL CONVENE ON OR ABOUT 02 DEC 14, TO CONSIDER RESERVE OF THE ARMY PROMOTION LIST (APL) FIRST LIEUTENANTS (1LT) FOR PROMOTION TO CAPTAIN. ZONES OF CONSIDERATION CONSIST OF ALL UNITED STATES ARMY RESERVES OF THE ARMY (USAR AND ARNGUS) APL LIEUTENANTS WITH A DATE OF RANK (DOR):

AR-AGR AND AR-NON-AGR

ABOVE THE ZONE: 31 JAN 12 AND EARLIER
                PROMOTION ZONE: 01 FEB 12 THRU 31 AUG 12

ARNGUS:

ABOVE THE ZONE: 31 AUG 10 AND EARLIER
                PROMOTION ZONE: 01 SEP 10 THRU 31 AUG 11
                ...I believe that's what you are referring to right?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Although there's the possibility of a Unit Vacancy Promotion which can happen before the mandatory APL board. However, that depends on a lot of stars lining up such as a vacant slot that you're promotable into as well as being MOSQ'd for that slot (which means your state would need to send you to a Captain's Career Course outside of your initial basic branch).

Comment

I waited for my APL board and pinned CPT at the 6-7 year mark and I get the frustration.

If anything, enjoy this time. Make mistakes before you pin CPT and people expect you to know the answer.

Comment

1. The MILPER message describes DA board promotions. DA Board selection doesn't necessarily do anything for a TPU officer, because you still need a slot (unless you want to go into the IRR to accept the promotion). The smaller force structure of the USAR, and its policy of clustering units, makes geography an even greater enemy than for the National Guard officer.
                        2. As others have mentioned, many National Guard officers get promoted prior to the DA board process by Unit Vacancy, which executes prior to the DA Board action. Thus, the fact that the USAR casts a wider net at the DA Board doesn't necessarily mean that they are promoting faster. To wit, you may wish to look at paragraph 6 of the linked document. I can't find more recent numbers right now (at least not in a public link), although such a dramatic disparity in unit vacancy promotion rates should give us pause.
                        3. None of this may actually help you as an individual.
                        I do not mean to disparage the USAR, although I have concerns about incomplete reasoning influencing career decisions. The numbers I'm seeing at the national level do not support the statement that the USAR as a national institution promotes officers faster than the ARNG, individual anecdotes notwithstanding.

Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Why drop almost a full 2 years off of the APL board if USAR was not trying to increase promotions?

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                            1. The MILPER message describes DA board promotions. DA Board selection doesn't necessarily do anything for a TPU officer, because you still need a slot (unless you want to go into the IRR to accept the promotion). The smaller force structure of the USAR, and its policy of clustering units, makes geography an even greater enemy than for the National Guard officer.
                            2. As others have mentioned, many National Guard officers get promoted prior to the DA board process by Unit Vacancy, which executes prior to the DA Board action. Thus, the fact that the USAR casts a wider net at the DA Board doesn't necessarily mean that they are promoting faster. To wit, you may wish to look at paragraph 6 of the linked document. I can't find more recent numbers right now (at least not in a public link), although such a dramatic disparity in unit vacancy promotion rates should give us pause.
                            3. None of this may actually help you as an individual.

I do not mean to disparage the USAR, although I have concerns about incomplete reasoning influencing career decisions. The numbers I'm seeing at the national level do not support the statement that the USAR as a national institution promotes officers faster than the ARNG, individual anecdotes notwithstanding.

Your mileage may vary.
                            That may be true, but I noticed the opposite in the NCR (National Capital Region). It seems like there are a plethora of vacant positions for the USAR in the MD/DC/VA area compared to the ARNG.

Personally, I have been enjoying my time in the MD ARNG. They run a tighter ship than the previous state that I was with. The MD ARNG has been decent at funding schools for career development thus far. I attended Maneuver CCC this summer and have been submitted for the Signal CCC next summer. Also, I'm utilizing the MD State Tuition Waiver for my MS Computer Science that I'm completing in the evenings. I think that as a company grade officer, the ARNG offers a much better experience and benefit/educational perks. I plan on staying with the ARNG for the next 2-3 years. After that, it's anyone's guess at this point....

Comment

Working...
                            X