Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to choose between States to apply for the WOFT Program..

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to choose between States to apply for the WOFT Program..

Hi all, new to the forum here,

Recently moved to Virginia, I'm currently a US Army Reservist looking to join the guard, but I'm stuck between choosing what State National Guard to apply for, between Virginia and Pennsylvania , I was highly considering (about 80%) to go for Pennsylvania (I'm willing to travel at my own expense) since they have the AH-64 air frame , but ultimately I would fly any air frame for the US Army, so the question is..

How do I know which State has more higher demand for Pilots?, I know that in theses current times demand is very low due to budget cuts and the War winding down, also knowing that there is a battle in congress to keep the AH-64 with in the National Guard units and I don't know what will be the outcome of it,(and that's a reason to consider staying local) but still one State has to have a little more demand than the other (even if is just 1%) so I can have a better shot to obtain a slot ..

hopefully some one can shed some light for me,

I already have past my SIFT, Class 1A flight physical is currently valid and can also meet or surpass any other Requirement by the State for applying

thanks in advance,
    SSG R

You will need to speak to the WO Strength Manager for each state to determine availability.

Comment

You will need to speak to the WO Strength Manager for each state to determine availability.

http://www.paguard.com/careers/become_warrant.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Warra...02327933155993

http://vko.va.ngb.army.mil/virginiag...osm/index.html

Comment

Mods, can you please delete the post before my last one and this one please?

Comment

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...viation-branch

Comment

As a pilot in the va guard I must say... First off apaches are gayer than aids. Second remember the role of the national guard is primarily state side and apaches have NO mission state side. Third pilots have minimums. You say you're willing to travel that far but do you realize being a guard pilot is more than one weekend a month and two weeks per year? I work an average of 10-15 days per month at my unit as an m-day guy that's a ton of time spent driving from va to muir army airfield. Ps they also have chinooks and Blackhawks so if you do get in the door you're not guaranteed apaches. Several people in my flight school class figured out at selection that their state changed their advanced airframe between the time they started flight school and reaching AAT.

Comment

Originally posted by ack202 View Post
              As a pilot in the va guard I must say... First off apaches are gayer than aids. Second remember the role of the national guard is primarily state side and apaches have NO mission state side. Third pilots have minimums. You say you're willing to travel that far but do you realize being a guard pilot is more than one weekend a month and two weeks per year? I work an average of 10-15 days per month at my unit as an m-day guy that's a ton of time spent driving from va to muir army airfield. Ps they also have chinooks and Blackhawks so if you do get in the door you're not guaranteed apaches. Several people in my flight school class figured out at selection that their state changed their advanced airframe between the time they started flight school and reaching AAT.
              So what type of full time salaried civilian job do you have with that schedule?

Comment

Thanks , Chief Kemosabe, matthew.ritchie, ack202, Polo08816, the info was very helpful, I will let you guys know about the outcome... thanks again

Comment

In regards to Apaches not having a state use, see the following sent to me by one of my friends who is a Missouri ARNG chaplain.

http://www.moguard.com/04-30-14-apac...readiness.html

The Missouri National Guard’s own 1-135th Attack Reconnaissance Battalion recently returned from a deployment to Afghanistan. Working alongside fellow American and allied forces, they provided a 24-hour quick reaction force, convoy security, air assault, personnel and convey movement and reconnaissance over a 45,000-square-mile stretch of Afghanistan.

But the Apache is not limited to service abroad. Since I became adjutant general in 2009, the Apache has been a cornerstone of our state emergency missions. The Apache’s role as a reconnaissance aircraft able to beam back data in real-time to emergency response agencies is vital.

Such a role is critical during a flood, earthquake, or even tornado. As our Black Hawks concentrate on transporting Guardsmen and first responders or evacuating residents, our Apaches can scout roads and bridges to ensure they are viable for responders and supplies coming to the area. Apaches are well-equipped for a wide range of aerial surveillance missions, including using their infrared cameras to identify individuals trapped in rubble or isolated areas.

Of course, neither or state or federal mission would be possible without experienced pilots and maintainers.

Comment

Working...
                  X