X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing Physically for FOCS

Can anyone who has been to FOCS tell me what to expect physically (specifically running)? At the moment im running 2 miles in about 14:45 but I know I can drop that time down given time. I know OCS = running, so if anyone has any information so I can prepare better that would be great! thanks for your help!

Have you been to basic combat training?
    Are you able to perform based on this schedule?

Comment

I went thru a year and a half ago and I'm sure things have changed somewhat, but our runs generally consisted of ability group runs, with a few 60/120s mixed in. The PT runs themselves are only as hard as you make them, but the 3-, 4-, and 5-mile release runs are graduation requirements and are a big separator on the OML. We also did some BN/BDE runs that you cannot fall out of, but at a 14:45 2-mile you should be fine with the brutally slow pace on those. Also, you will do 4 or 5 rucks (mostly release), so cardiovascular endurance plays a part there too.

We did exclusively PRT, of which I'm not a big fan, so make sure you ship in the best shape possible.

Comment

Thank you both for your responses, I really appreciate it. No I have not been to BCT yet. So as of now I can run about an 8 min/mile for 5 miles would I survive? Also what is the distance on the group runs/pace? Thank you! I'm lifting and running 4-5 days a week.

Comment

Patsfan,

Just curious because of you're username. Are you a Massachusetts candidate? Have you been to the board yet? I don't know of anyone who has gone to FOCS from MA.

Don't ask yourself if you would be able to survive. You want to excel. Concentrate on pushups, situps and the run. Lifting is great for strength, but stamina is what counts for the APFT. If you are in fact from MA, then shoot me a PM. I'm almost done with the traditional program and would be able to provide some insight into the process from start to finish.

Comment

Unfortunately, no, I was born and raised in south Boston for a good part of my life, but I live in Illinois now. Thank you for the advice vinn.ross. I certainly push my self the 4-5 days a week that I run, though there is always room for improvement. I can max the 2/min sit ups pacing myself for 40/minute, and the most I have done is 85. I work on my push-ups and sit-ups 3 times/week.

Comment

Originally posted by Patsfan622 View Post
              So as of now I can run about an 8 min/mile for 5 miles would I survive? Also what is the distance on the group runs/pace?
              At BCT I was in the "A" ability group, which ran 4-5 miles at a 7:15-ish/min pace. If time permitted, we would do the 300m shuttle run afterwards. The 60-120s were done on the track, and I'd guesstimate we did about 8-10. You build up as you get further into the cycle.

For OCS it was something similar. Five miles in 40 minutes is a decent starting point, if you want to compete for Distinguished Military Grad I would shoot to run it in the mid-low 6:00-min/mi pace.

Comment

Enceladus thank you for your information. Ive been striving for maximum scores/times, not minimums so your information is very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by enceladus View Post

At BCT I was in the "A" ability group, which ran 4-5 miles at a 7:15-ish/min pace. If time permitted, we would do the 300m shuttle run afterwards. The 60-120s were done on the track, and I'd guesstimate we did about 8-10. You build up as you get further into the cycle.

For OCS it was something similar. Five miles in 40 minutes is a decent starting point, if you want to compete for Distinguished Military Grad I would shoot to run it in the mid-low 6:00-min/mi pace.
                  If you can maintain a 8 min/mile pace for 5 miles, you'll be fine for OCS. 5 miles in 40 mins is a requirement for the RPFT.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                    If you can maintain a 8 min/mile pace for 5 miles, you'll be fine for OCS. 5 miles in 40 mins is a requirement for the RPFT.
                    Have you been to federal OCS?

Comment

Originally posted by Patsfan622 View Post
                      Have you been to federal OCS?
                      No, I went to Accelerated OCS.

Comment

Working...
                      X