Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Service Linguist considering OCS in NG

Hi everyone,

First off, thank you for any advice/guidance in advance. I'm trying to make the right decision for my family.

My background:

I am 35 years old. I served 5 years active duty from 2001-2006 and 3 years IRR as a Persian Farsi/Dari linguist at Ft. Gordon, GA with the 513th MI BDE. I received an honorable discharge after completing my contract, with service awards. But, I injured my back in the Army, enough to get minor disability and be flagged for re-enlistment pending the passing of a PT test.
    I'm positive I can pass a PT test now without repercussions and my back hasn't been a problem for years. I may not pass at the top of my class, but if I get back into shape I'm sure I can do well (I have like 0% body fat and an athletic build, so it's just a matter of reconditioning my muscles).

After the Army, I used my GI Bill to complete a Bachelor of Science in Health Administration & Emergency Management with a GPA of 3.46.
    Now, I'm considering enlisting in the Wisconsin NG and seeing if I can get OCS and become an Interpreter/Translator for Persian Farsi and/or Dari. However, I would probably need a refresher course since you don't find many Persians to converse with in Wisconsin.

What are your thoughts on the feasibility of this path? I'll be talking to a WI NG recruiter tomorrow.

More than likely you will be able to join if you don't have over a 30% disability rating.

Comment

What do you think the prospects are for getting a good commission with all of that?

Comment

There are no officer positions for translator/interpretor those are enlisted positions. If you want to become an officer and still put your language skills to use, MI is probably your best bet.

Comment

You need to decide what is most important to you. As others have mentioned, if serving as a Persian linguist is most important to you then remain enlisted. If serving as an officer is most important to you, then at best your Persian language skill will become a personal hobby which the Army may support indirectly. Additionally, you have no formal guarantee of career field or pinpoint assignment when starting OCS (although some States do make semi-formal arrangements ahead of time), and MI doesn't need many lieutenants. This is a conversation to have with Wisconsin's OSM, and your local ARNG recruiter can put you in touch.

Comment

Working...
          X