Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Federal OCS Vs. VaARNG OCS

Hi all,

Non-prior service Super Senior here about to graduate college here in Virginia this coming May and I am seriously considering ether Army OCS(Reserve Option) or VaARNG OCS. So I can serve my country, seek a career in the military(which I have always sought), and have a civilian career at the same time.

However, I was wondering what are the overall differences between the two are? I have heard that the process of applying to Federal OCS tends to be alot longer while that of State OCS is more murkier and varies depending on where you are.

So how does Federal OCS differ from State OCS(At least for Virginia)?

Also another question I have is should I seek civilian employment at the same time I am applying for OCS? I ask because assuming if I am fortunate enough to be bestowed the opportunity to attend OCS i don't know how burdensome all of this can be before finishing all of the training?

Thank you,

Super Senior,

There are many threads on this topic on this forum http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...l-vs-ocs-state

Comment

I am a LT in the VaARNG, and I went thru FOCS last year. Do your research first, then come back if you need clarification on anything. FOCS is very difficult to get in VA. If you live in the DMV area, don't rule out DCARNG or MDARNG.

Comment

Thank you both for your replies!

I will go back and do a closer search to see what I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by enceladus View Post
          I am a LT in the VaARNG, and I went thru FOCS last year. Do your research first, then come back if you need clarification on anything. FOCS is very difficult to get in VA. If you live in the DMV area, don't rule out DCARNG or MDARNG.
          Please rule out the DC ARNG. From what I've heard, they're almost as good (which is really just "bad") as NJ ARNG. VA or MD are decent states.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post

Please rule out the DC ARNG. From what I've heard, they're almost as good (which is really just "bad") as NJ ARNG. VA or MD are decent states.

Hey hey now... Don't rag a state's guard because of your past experiences. NJ ain't perfect, but no state is.

... Yea, that's right I'm back... Be warned... lol

Comment

Working...
            X