Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to switch from State OCS to ROTC?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to switch from State OCS to ROTC?

I'm currently an 09S in the VA ARNG and recently completed Basic Training (just returned last week). I'm scheduled to begin Traditional State OCS (Pre-OCS/Phase 0) in January, but after learning more about the various benefits, I want to apply to graduate school and commission thru ROTC instead. Is it possible to switch out of my 09S designation and become an 09R? Or would I have to pickup a random (needs of the Guard?) MOS, go to AIT, then do SMP? Also who would be the best POC for this sort of thing? My recruiter, the state OSM, or an ROTC adviser? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Before we get into that, I want to know more about your situation. Have you already graduated from college? How long is your graduate program? Does your graduate school offer Army ROTC?

Comment

I already have a B.A., the graduate program would be 2 years and all the schools I'm looking at do offer Army ROTC. I'm still in the application process at this point, so I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

Comment

• matthew.ritchie
        matthew.ritchie commented
        Editing a comment
        ROTC is a four-year program. To compress it to two years, you must complete the Army's Basic Training and AIT prior to starting ROTC, or complete ROTC's own six-week compression course prior to starting ROTC. Thus, one way or another you have some significant requirements to fulfill prior to starting ROTC and grad school.

What are your priorities? goals? Where are you willing to sacrifice?

I've already done Basic so I don't mind picking up an MOS and going to AIT before going to school next year. Originally I wanted to commission as soon as possible (OCS) but now I'd like to focus more on education and I can wait a little longer on commissioning. I was just wondering if it were possible to switch out of the 09S designation and go thru ROTC, and with whom I should talk to begin the process.

Comment

• matthew.ritchie
        matthew.ritchie commented
        Editing a comment
        First, I would make contact with ROTC to ensure that you're eligible. ROTC is its own accession source, and they have their own standards. We've had Soldiers who were qualified for OCS who weren't allowed into ROTC, and vice versa. It's rare, but it does happen. You don't want to leap before knowing where you'll land.

Second, address your OCS chain of command. Ensure that you've thought through your situation, and have a specific request, e.g., "remove me from OCS, and put me in an AIT slot." Ensure you stress that you do NOT want discharge --- you definitely want to stay in service, don't do anything to jeopardize that.

I would also recommend that you not discuss ROTC, since that's not formally relevant at this point. Don't lie, and don't hide the truth, but don't mention that unless it comes up organically. Too many irrelevant facts complicate matters.
    Working...
    X