Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you actually get your security clearance?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you actually get your security clearance?

I haven't been able to find this question/answer in the myriad of clearance threads on the forum here. I'm just curious as to when the actual clearance 'kicks in' so to speak. I've done the SF86, gone to BCT, and am waiting for Phase 0 to begin now. I would like to start applying for some federal government jobs that I will be significantly more competitive for with an active clearance, but I don't want to give misleading info.

The only thing you get is the knowledge that you are cleared. In addition, all clearance verifications go through JPAS..... which all of the cleared jobs have access to. So when you apply, they simply pop in your SSN and get the info.

If you really need a piece of paper, you can go to your S-2 office of Security Mgr and get a copy of your JPAS printout.

Comment

• matthew.ritchie
      matthew.ritchie commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopefully, they will NOT print out the JPAS screen, but rather write a memorandum of verification confirming your clearance. Your State Security Manager can also "pass" the clearance to another Security Manager, although that may not work practicably for a job application.

You may also wish to look at the thread linked below, particularly the embedded link in that thread.
      http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...e-verification

"JCAVS Person Summary Screen printouts can only be utilized when a Federal Government Agency requests the printout for reciprocity or compliance purposes, and JPAS access is unavailable at that agency. JCAVS Person Summary Screens cannot be utilized for law enforcement or Privacy Act purposes. This screen printout can only be used to provide proof of investigation, eligibility, and access at the single point in time of the request by the Federal Government Agency.

ALL JCAVS PRINTOUTS must be protected from unauthorized disclosure. If a Federal Government Agency requests a printout for reciprocity or compliance purposes and JPAS access is unavailable at that agency, the record must be protected with a DD Form 2923, Privacy Act Data Cover Sheet, according to the requirements for privacy/sensitive information and For Official Use Only (FOUO), Privacy Act of 1974, and DoD Privacy Program (DoD 5400.11-R)."

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
    The only thing you get is the knowledge that you are cleared. In addition, all clearance verifications go through JPAS..... which all of the cleared jobs have access to. So when you apply, they simply pop in your SSN and get the info.

If you really need a piece of paper, you can go to your S-2 office of Security Mgr and get a copy of your JPAS printout.
    I wasn't asking about a piece of paper, sorry if that was unclear. I meant when will I know that I have actually received the clearance? I don't want to apply for a job and state I have a clearance, when in fact I don't.

Comment

Working...
    X