X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about extended leave

To get right to the point, my wife and I are starting our Master's programs in International Business. With that said, there is going to be about a year of traveling throughout Europe and Asia. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to take a year off from drilling. I have about 5 years remaining on my MSO, with not IRR time built in. Are there any requirements to request to transfer into the IRR?

I am not looking to get out of my MSO, just some time away to complete my studies and travel.

Originally posted by ctguardLT View Post
    To get right to the point, my wife and I are starting our Master's programs in International Business. With that said, there is going to be about a year of traveling throughout Europe and Asia. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to take a year off from drilling. I have about 5 years remaining on my MSO, with not IRR time built in. Are there any requirements to request to transfer into the IRR?

I am not looking to get out of my MSO, just some time away to complete my studies and travel.
    Anyone want to take a guess how that's going to affect boarding for CPT eventually if you come out of the IRR? You're going to be competing against LTs who have had rated time in a harsh drawdown environment.

You know there are some USAR units that will allow you to complete your IDT and AT together.

Comment

As long as you have several OER's that are decent, you shouldn't have a problem with your CPT's board. You're not competing against other LTs, the board is just recommending you for promotion. If you were looking for a unit vacancy promotion, you might have a harder time. Most senior raters now want bio's, ORB's and last 3 OERs and your unrated time can be explained.

IMA postions in the USAR (Polo mentioned) is a way of doing your drills/AT in a way that would still allow you to do the traveling you want.

Comment

Working...
      X