X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Resignation Options

Just wanted to get some insight into A) Is this possible? (I don't want to appear like an idiot for even asking) and B) Where and to whom should I contact to get this started...

I have an 8 year MSO from August 14th 2007 to August 14th 2015 (ROTC GRFD Scholarship). I have done tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan and would be MORE than happy to pay back Uncle Sam whatever the prorated cost in order to make an exit 2 years early. Basically, is there a way or a precedent to resign, honorably discharge, and pay your way out?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Re: Early Resignation Options

You've already done the hard part. Another mobilization at this point is rather unlikely. Twenty-four more drill weekends, two more ATs, and you're done. That's 78 more duty days. It hardly seems worth it to quit within sight of the finish line.

Comment

Not trying to bump an old post but have another legitimate questions. I have decided I would like to pursue whatever option I have to complete my remaining service obligations as soon as possible and/or look into paying back a prorated amount of my scholarship. My wife and I would like to start a family and we both agree that is incompatible with this lifestyle. While I agree with LTC Ritchie that the pay-back option will probably take about as long as my remaining obligation of 20 months to work its way through the system, if there even is a system for that, etc...I was wondering has anyone ever just completed all their drills and left? Techinically I only owe the Army about 2 months worth of work but it is protracted out into almost a year and a half of drill...can you complete this in one sitting?

Comment

Originally posted by SignalGuy View Post
        Not trying to bump an old post but have another legitimate questions. I have decided I would like to pursue whatever option I have to complete my remaining service obligations as soon as possible and/or look into paying back a prorated amount of my scholarship. My wife and I would like to start a family and we both agree that is incompatible with this lifestyle. While I agree with LTC Ritchie that the pay-back option will probably take about as long as my remaining obligation of 20 months to work its way through the system, if there even is a system for that, etc...I was wondering has anyone ever just completed all their drills and left? Techinically I only owe the Army about 2 months worth of work but it is protracted out into almost a year and a half of drill...can you complete this in one sitting?
        It may be possible. You'll have to speak with your chain of command. I would imagine it's easier to accomplish this if you're talking about an entire fiscal year's worth of drills/training and completing that near the beginning of the fiscal year.

Comment

Working...
        X