Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Options and Upcoming Deployment

Hello,

I've just finished BCT and AIT. I joined the NG with the intention of going SMP when I returned. Well, I've been back a couple months and have spoken with ROTC. They have a spot for me and are ready to contract me asap as an MS3. However, I just learned that my unit is scheduled for a deployment in January 2015. I haven't formally requested to go SMP and become a Cadet with my unit yet, but so far i've heard that I should expect to be denied by my unit, due to our scheduled deployment. I'm still going to try this option, but if i am denied, I was wondering what my options would be in becoming an officer.

Could I do OCS even though my unit is deploying in a year in a half? I could graduate with my B.A. in less than a semester.

Second, what is Direct Commissioning, and is this an option for me given my current situation?

Thanks!

Re: Officer Options and Upcoming Deployment

When a unit deploys there is always a rear detachment so I don't see why your unit would deny your SMP for that reason.

So are you wanting to go on the deployment with your unit or is your only concern SMP with your unit?

And direct commission is not an option.

Comment

The unit commander decides whether to have SMP cadets, and how many. Since the rear detachment isn't really a fully-functioning unit, your SMP experience may suffer there. Your state's OSM can find you another unit. Your SMP unit and your commissioning unit have no formal relationship, and socially you may find it easier to make the transition to a new group than with the group that knew you as a cadet.

Comment

January 2015? Where is that to? Mozambique?

Comment

Is that a serious question Chief? That sounds interesting....

Comment

Chief: It's to Kuwait. What I worry is that I will be denied SMP so that I can go to kuwait, only to have the deployment cancelled a few months before scheduled (that is what happened with this unit's last deployment). So, no Kuwait + No ROTC= a lose lose situation for me.

Rhadamanthus:Timing is my concern. The deployment is in 1.5 years. The earliest I could complete ROTC and Commission is in 2 years, as I will be entering as an MS3 and ROTC requires a full MS3 and MS4 year. I would rather spend those 2ish years working towards becoming an officer.

LTC Ritchie: What is a state OSM? Would I still have to be "released" by my unit Commander to SMP at a different unit? I was in ROTC prior to enlistment (it's the reason i joined the guard) and I have several higher ups at ROTC that know me and would be willing to vouch that I would be a successful Cadet.

Thanks for so much for everyone's help! I'm currently trying to meet with my ROTC recruiter this week to get him up to date. In the meantime, I'm considering different perspectives and outcomes for my military career.

Comment

Couple of things OP. If your endstate is to be an officer then choose the route that is going to make you an officer. An enlistment that may/may not happen in 1.5 years is not a great reason to give up a commission.

Secondly, a ROTC contract will trump the *NG contract. Which means, whether your unit commander likes it or not, he can't deny you to become a cadet. He can decline to have you in his unit, but your ROTC liaison will simply find you a unit elsewhere.

*You'll have to pay back any bonuses you may have gotten.

Comment

All the officers gave sound advice and I would not worry about a deployment that is 15 months away. Anything could happen, like a cancellation. I will continue to pursue ROTC/SMP.

Comment

Working...
                X