Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Officer Early Transition to the Guard

Hello All,

This is my first post on the forum, so if this is in an incorrect place, please let me know.

I am currently an Active Duty Military Intelligence 1LT and am about to hit 3 years Active Duty time. I commissioned through ROTC and my Active Duty Service Obligation is 4 years, which would bring it to Oct. 2014. I am very interested in transitioning to the Guard, preferably an AGR slot, specifically in the state of Maine. My wife is a licensed attorney there, and it would just make our lives a little easier. With that said, does anyone know of any kind of program/policy where a Commissioned Officer could separate prior to the end of their AD contract if they are continuing their service with the Guard? With the Army downsizing, I feel like this is more plausible now than it has been in the past. I obviously can also just wait the 14 months, but since my intent is to transition anyway, if I could do it earlier than that I would prefer it. My Branch manager wasn't much help and just said he had never heard of anyone doing it before.

Also, is it even possible, or has anyone ever seen someone go directly from Active Duty to National Guard AGR? That would be my ultimate goal if possible.

Thanks for any help/insight on the subject. I have relatively little knowledge about the Guard side.

Re: Active Officer Early Transition to the Guard

Originally posted by MI1LT View Post
    Hello All,

This is my first post on the forum, so if this is in an incorrect place, please let me know.

I am currently an Active Duty Military Intelligence 1LT and am about to hit 3 years Active Duty time. I commissioned through ROTC and my Active Duty Service Obligation is 4 years, which would bring it to Oct. 2014. I am very interested in transitioning to the Guard, preferably an AGR slot, specifically in the state of Maine. My wife is a licensed attorney there, and it would just make our lives a little easier. With that said, does anyone know of any kind of program/policy where a Commissioned Officer could separate prior to the end of their AD contract if they are continuing their service with the Guard? With the Army downsizing, I feel like this is more plausible now than it has been in the past. I obviously can also just wait the 14 months, but since my intent is to transition anyway, if I could do it earlier than that I would prefer it. My Branch manager wasn't much help and just said he had never heard of anyone doing it before.

Also, is it even possible, or has anyone ever seen someone go directly from Active Duty to National Guard AGR? That would be my ultimate goal if possible.

Thanks for any help/insight on the subject. I have relatively little knowledge about the Guard side.
    There are not many AGR slots for officers and when looking at a small state like Maine, you can just about forget about it. I'd start looking into other options for employment once you transition out of Active duty because the chances of you finding an officer AGR slot in your state is close to 0.

Comment

There's nothing illegal about it, although the system is not designed for that. It's designed for traditional Guardsmen, not active duty transition. You'll find that as a practical matter the jobs rarely come open precisely when you want them to. Therefore, as the other post mentioned, do not count on it, and make realistic plans for civilian employment.

Comment

I am AD at Carson and know a lot of O's that are getting out but after their normal time is up. Most likely, you would have to remain on AD until Oct 2014. Also, get use to the idea that you will be a part-timer in the NG or AR. Start prepping for a nice civilian job.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I've heard how difficult it is, even just browsing open positions over the last few months I haven't really seen much available for officers. I have a few connections up there and am hoping they might be able to point me in the right direction.

Comment

Something else worth mentioning when it comes to transitioning from A/D to NG and trying for an AGR spot...

You would be competing with other O's from Maine who have been in the NG for years. And by doing so, they have been able to develop relationships with the powers that be and have made a name for themselves.

Now, I am not implying this on you at at OP, but a lot of A/D automatically think that "Since I am coming to the NG from A/D, I am doing the NG a favor. I'm hot-poop and will blow these Nasty Girl soldiers out the water with my A/D skills". Just like the A/D components looks down at the NG (or used to. The opinion is changing a lot), the NG *usually* does not favor a soldier for their A/D time when it comes to things like AGR and in fact, you may get some reverse flak.

Plan for a civilian career and plan on having to reprove yourself to any command that you come into.

Comment

What if you are a Active Duty Warrant Officer seeking to go into the National Guard before your ADSO is up. Will the military release you from active duty in order to serve in the National Guard no matter what state it is?

Comment

You could of emailed or called your branch manager to the answer of your question. ADSO is there for a reason. I would say no. Are you a WO1 or CW2?

Comment

Originally posted by ja293437 View Post
                  What if you are a Active Duty Warrant Officer seeking to go into the National Guard before your ADSO is up. Will the military release you from active duty in order to serve in the National Guard no matter what state it is?
                  I guess in theory its possible but no way will it happen.

Comment

Even WO1s who waiver consideration to CW2 (I think it is dumb to do so but they will incur an extra year when they automatically pin to CW2) will have to complete their six-year WO obligation. I get my six years in six months but I have an extra year of ADSO because of my promotion. Now with the next promotion (Inshallah), I will have more ADSO added to it. Then after that, I will be indef with no ADSO shown on my ORB.

For those WOs that get passed over twice and did not make it to santuary, they will be afforded TERA (if over 15 years AD at time of force retired); they have already met their initial obligation.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I've heard how difficult it is, even just browsing open positions over the last few months I haven't really seen much available for officers. I have a few connections up there and am hoping they might be able to point me in the right direction.
                      This is the very reason why I decided to forgo the idea of going to OCS in the guard. We have a ton of officers in my unit that fly in from other states each month just to have a job. Best of luck to you! Start taking workshops on transitioning from military to civilian life ASAP, and make sure you know how to tell your story to potential civilian employers. It's critical that you learn how to demilitarize your behavior and style of communication as well.
                      Last edited by seldomseen; September 11th, 2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X