Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sprained Ankle...Just venting my frustrations!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprained Ankle...Just venting my frustrations!

I sprained my ankle 2 weeks ago at drill while doing wrestling combatives....I ship Aug. 19th to Ft Benning for BCT and start OCS November 4th (the monday after BCT graduation)...Just hoping and praying that I heal in time. I have not been able to run since I sprained it. Walking is fine, no issues. Just need some encouragement...Doc said it was a Cat II sprain.

If I'm lucky, I will have an extra week of healing during reception. Which means a total of 3 weeks from now...Which raises a question-do you do any morning PT when in reception week? What could happen if I dont heal in time? (primary concern being OCS and such) I noticed the thread were someone had a circumstance almost identical to this one...but he healed in time.

Hawks

EDIT: grammer error
    Last edited by Hawks; August 6th, 2013, 07:27 AM.

Re: Sprained Ankle...Just venting my frustrations!

Originally posted by Hawks View Post
    Which raises a question-do you do any morning PT when in reception week? What could happen if I dont heal in time? (primary concern being OCS and such) I noticed the thread were someone had a circumstance almost identical to this one...but he healed in time.
    Nope, you won't do any PT in reception. It was without a doubt the most miserable week while I was at Benning, though.

I saw a broken jaw, a broken collarbone, and a perforated eardrum from combatives at BCT. My advice would be to be careful (i.e., tap out immediately if you get put in an armbar)...it's just not worth an injury.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly, I saw a battle in BCT fracture his hip during combatives because someone wanted to be Jean Claude Van-Damme. He was stuck in the FTU for 3 MONTHS. Imagine being in BCT for that long, then having to recycle into the next rotation knowing you had already been half-way through.

Comment

We had a couple people get Knocked the F-Out and a concussion or 2, but nothing major when we did Combatives. and yeah you might get suuper lucky and be in reception for 2 weeks. I was, in your case I would pray for that. Just do everything you can to let it heal as much as possible. Don't worry about trying to run or anything to "get ready" for basic, everyone will be out of shape when you get their and it will suck regardless.

Comment

Come to think of it, you probably will do PT at your Pre-Ship Drill, so inform your DS or Plt Sgt. of the issue so they don't smoke you too bad. You probably will get smoked in Reception for somebody messing up/goofing off. I would do the same thing once you arrive. Worst case scenario is they push you back one week and you rotate into the next class or until whenever you can go. It might suck for a little bit but I'm sure one extra week of AD pay you won't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero259 View Post
            Worst case scenario is they push you back one week and you rotate into the next class or until whenever you can go.
            I'm not sure that, as a Guardsmen going to FOCS, you'll be able to just simply push back your OCS start date to the next class. I've heard stories of 09s being forced to go into the Traditional program because they missed their original FOCS class, for whatever reason.

Hopefully someone of the admin side of the house can weigh in.

Comment

Oh crap, totally forgot he was 09S. Um yea, he might want to speak up ASAP and see what his options are. Otherwise, he can just try to suck it up and make it work.

Comment

At BCT during combatives do they push you to try to hurt the other guy or are the other guys sometimes just too insane? I don't think the army would want people breaking bones while learning how to fight, especially when you got one guy who maybe took muy thai all his life and another guy who's never fought.

Comment

It's an issue of "boys will be boys". More than anything the DS' stress to not hurt your buddy as the guy across the mat from you may be the same guy you goto theater with, and you don't want him banged up. But like enceladus said if you get in a hold just tap out. I had been doing Shorin Ryu Karate since I was 12. I hated the idea of this wrestling stuff on the ground, although I've heard that the higher levels have some standing up. I just let the guy win and tapped out every time.

Comment

Yeah I might also, I don't want to get hurt and I don't have pride issues. I would like to be without injury and pain and enjoy shooting and running.

Comment

Working...
                    X