X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resignation Timeline

I'm trying to get a sense of the timeline for requesting an unqualified resignation and I'm hoping to get some help. I've been reviewing AR 600-8-24 (http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r600_8_24.pdf) and I'm a little unclear on a few things.

For sake of discussion, let's assume I meet the qualifications for an unqualified resignation and my Chain of Command supports the request.

1. Assuming I request a resignation date that falls after the MSO, am I able to submit a resignation packet prior to completing my MSO?
    (Example: MSO is May 2014, and I request an effective resignation date of June 2014. Can I submit the packet prior to May?)

2. If I can submit the resignation packet prior to the MSO date, how early should the packet be submitted? 90 days? 180 days?

3. Lastly, if I cannot even submit the packet until my MSO, what's the shortest recommended amount of "notice" to request in the packet?
    (Example: If the MSO is May, and I submit my packet that month since I have now completed the MSO, what is the earliest possible date I could realistically request in the resignation pack - August (3 months/90 days)? Other?)
    Last edited by collk22; August 5th, 2013, 07:49 AM.

Re: Resignation Timeline

Bueller?

This will be my only bump...just hoping to get some insight into this process so I can plan accordingly.

Comment

What did your chain of command tell you when you asked these questions?

This forum may not be the best place for the level of guidance you seek.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
        What did your chain of command tell you when you asked these questions?

This forum may not be the best place for the level of guidance you seek.
        Sir - I haven't approached the chain of command at this point. I was hoping to have a better understanding of the process prior to going to them in order to make sure things go smoothly for all parties.

Comment

You've asked some precise questions on some arcana that doesn't get used much by the crowd on this forum. I fear that you'll either get silence, or a bunch of idle chatter (which is worse).

As a general rule, you may (and should) request a personnel action ~90-180 days in advance, with a specific "effective date" set in the future, to allow for review and processing. I recommend scheduling an appointment with your commander to explain your situation prior to making a formal submission.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
            You've asked some precise questions on some arcana that doesn't get used much by the crowd on this forum. I fear that you'll either get silence, or a bunch of idle chatter (which is worse).

As a general rule, you may (and should) request a personnel action ~90-180 days in advance, with a specific "effective date" set in the future, to allow for review and processing. I recommend scheduling an appointment with your commander to explain your situation prior to making a formal submission.
            Wilco, Sir. I appreciate the input and will make some time to speak to my BC about my intent.

Comment

As a follow up to this thread, I spoke to the BN XO (who was assumed to be the new BC) in December 2013 and laid the framework. The XO ended up taking command of the BN and we talked about it a few more times in March and April.

At May IDT I dropped a letter of resignation; the packet will include my letter, a letter from the BC, a couple of my last OERs, and I think that's it. I requested separation in August and I think that's fairly likely at this point, though things could run into September.

I will complete change of command in August which should be my last drill. So far the process has been fairly straightforward. The most painful part has been dealing with the BC and has attempts to keep me around. Hopefully everything will finish out as quickly and easily as it has started.

Comment

Working...
              X