Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeast Phase I Completed. Ask me anything.

I just finished Northeast Regional Phase I at Camp Niantic, CT and would be happy to answer any questions people might have about the program. It was the most challenging two weeks of my life, but an experience I would not change for anything.

Ask away.

Re: Northeast Phase I Completed. Ask me anything.

Phase I of what?

Comment

Of Traditional OCS. I was at Phase 1 at Niantic (then Camp Rowland) 14 years ago. It was not bad except for the thunderstorms we received during day land nav at Stones Ranch. Night land nav was a challenge but once you get passed that you are golden. The barracks were sure nice for the smoke sessions lol.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 29th, 2013, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
        Of Traditional OCS.
        Exactly.

Land Nav gave a lot of people problems, and the 90+ degree days caused a lot a heat casualties out on the lanes. I had to retest on the day portion with about 1/3 of the class. My platoon lost four OC's for getting a second no-go on the day lanes. I think our class started with 102 and finished with 76, so the attrition rate was about 25%.

Overall, an amazing experience that I never want to relive again, haha.

Comment

And when Vinn wrote Northeast, the phase 1 class was comprised of members from the Mass, Vermont, CT and I believe NY Guard. I think NH as well. I do not recall. Once Phase I is completed, then you head back to your state to continue on with Phase II. Phase III is at Fort Lewis. Funny, how things turned out and I ultimately went through WOCS and became a Warrant.

I met a Major today that had the opportunity for WOCS but instead opted to pursue OCS.

Comment

Phase I is a great time. I recommended a soldier in my platoon for OCS and he called me the other day telling me how fun it was and how much he enjoyed it. Always warms the heart to hear someone start a conversation with "SIR WHAT DID YOU TALK TO ME INTO? I KNEW IT WAS BAD BUT I HAD NO IDEA IT WAS LIKE THAT"
            Last edited by show_stopper999; July 29th, 2013, 09:19 PM. Reason: OMG LRN2ENGLISH

Comment

I'll bite - do you know yet what you'll be branching? Does CT use an OML? Good luck with the rest of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by PirateFace View Post
                I'll bite - do you know yet what you'll be branching? Does CT use an OML? Good luck with the rest of the program.
                Since I'm doing the Traditional program I won't know what I'm branching until May or June of next year. I'm in the MAARNG, so I'm not sure about CT. In MA it is based somewhat on class standing but also on the observations of the cadre during Phase II and what is available in the state. Our OSM said that in the last class everyone got their first choice except one person who got their second.

Comment

Originally posted by vinn.ross View Post
                  I just finished Northeast Regional Phase I at Camp Niantic, CT and would be happy to answer any questions people might have about the program. It was the most challenging two weeks of my life, but an experience I would not change for anything.

Ask away.
                  Doesn't look like anyone is interested in learning about the hell we went through. Someone will probably run into this thread next year.
                  It's also worth noting were going to lose a couple of the 76 people to the accelerated program. I know we did in NJ.
                  What state are you from? Any intel on what to expect for the first phase II drill?

Comment

Originally posted by ClarenceWS View Post
                    Doesn't look like anyone is interested in learning about the hell we went through. Someone will probably run into this thread next year.
                    It's also worth noting were going to lose a couple of the 76 people to the accelerated program. I know we did in NJ.
                    What state are you from? Any intel on what to expect for the first phase II drill?
                    Land nav week really was hell, and mentally the most challenging five days of the whole two weeks.

I'm from MA. We had our first drill already, and it wasn't too bad. The two OCs that were in leadership had it the hardest because they only had 5-6 days to prepare an OPORD for the weekend and get all the information they needed for the drill period to run smoothly. For us it was mostly classes with smokings in between. The classes are really interesting though and I've already learned a lot more about the operations process.

What platoon were you in at Niantic?

Comment

Working...
                    X