Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USMC Officer thinking about joining: does MOS matter?

I'm currently thinking about joining the Guard once I leave active service. I would like to continue serving as an officer, although I want to transition to a different MOS. I'm in Logistics now and while I have enjoyed it, I'm looking to do something different, ideally Military Police. I'm wondering:
    -Would I have to go through Army OCS and start over as a 2LT? (I'm a 1stLt now and am likely to promote to Capt before I EAS)
    -Would I have the ability to choose my MOS before signing up?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: USMC Officer thinking about joining: does MOS matter?

Why not the Marines Reserve?

Comment

I'm investigating that option as well, but I've been told my chances of being able to lat move out of logistics are very slim if I go reserve.

Comment

I believe you do not have to go through any OCS training and we have many NG officers that post on this website that can assist. With the NG, you will have to call the Officer Strength Manager (OSM) for the state that you are interested in serving in for information and details about possible transition.

Comment

I believe you do not have to go through any OCS training and we have many NG officers that post on this website that can assist. With the NG, you will have to call the Officer Strength Manager (OSM) for the state that you are interested in serving in for information and details about possible transition.

Comment

Originally posted by BT75 View Post
            I'm currently thinking about joining the Guard once I leave active service. I would like to continue serving as an officer, although I want to transition to a different MOS. I'm in Logistics now and while I have enjoyed it, I'm looking to do something different, ideally Military Police. I'm wondering:
            -Would I have to go through Army OCS and start over as a 2LT? (I'm a 1stLt now and am likely to promote to Capt before I EAS)
            -Would I have the ability to choose my MOS before signing up?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.
            Effectively, the Army accepts your USMC training at face value. You'll keep your rank, and your officer career field will convert into the Army equivalent.

If you could delay your promotion, I would recommend it. It will make it easier to find a position, and you'll have a chance to learn the new culture with a set of reduced expectations. It's a short-term sacrifice that will set you up for future success.

Comment

To add to what the others have mentioned, you can rebranch (change MOS) after you make the transitition to the Guard. Many NG officers have multiple branches.

Comment

Thank you for your responses gentlemen. How difficult is re-branching? Would it be easier to go that route than try to get assigned to a different branch upon joining the Guard?

Comment

Re-branching is fairly easy. You would have to do the Captains Career Course for whatever branch you end up in. The difference from what's posted above is, get your captain if you can before you leave. Don't try to go into the NG and have to start that whole process. I’d also suggest you look at the USAR as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X