X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing to a DEDNG scholarship for NG Commission

I am currently a MSII on a traditional AROTC scholarship, but I've been strongly considering pursuing a commission in the Guard after graduation in a few years. I was wondering how I would go about switching scholarships to a DEDNG for the commission in the Guard, and how the process of choosing the state I'd serve in would work if it is not the state I go to school in. Thanks for the help.

Re: Changing to a DEDNG scholarship for NG Commission

Originally posted by Cadet16 View Post
    I am currently a MSII on a traditional AROTC scholarship, but I've been strongly considering pursuing a commission in the Guard after graduation in a few years. I was wondering how I would go about switching scholarships to a DEDNG for the commission in the Guard, and how the process of choosing the state I'd serve in would work if it is not the state I go to school in. Thanks for the help.
    You don't need to switch scholarships to go National Guard. Just go National Guard.

Comment

While switching scholarships is not a formal requirement, if you know that the Guard is what you want then switching scholarship will reduce risk. Effectively it will force you to do what you want to do anyway. It will also free up resources for another cadet with other plans, and give you additional experience as an SMP cadet.

While the technical aspects of recharacterizing your scholarship happens within Cadet Command, I recommend having this conversation with your State's OSM first. Work our your SMP assignment, and begin a dialog about your pinpoint lieutenant assignment and branch prior to taking any formal action.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I do have one last question, though. As far as contacting a state's OSM, would it be more best to contact the OSM in the state I would like to serve or the OSM in the state that I attend school?

Comment

Originally posted by Cadet16 View Post
          Thank you for the information. I do have one last question, though. As far as contacting a state's OSM, would it be more best to contact the OSM in the state I would like to serve or the OSM in the state that I attend school?
          You should only be talking to the OSM in the state which you plan on serving. Anything else will just cause unnecessary confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
            You should only be talking to the OSM in the state which you plan on serving. Anything else will just cause unnecessary confusion.
            Yes, good advice.

Comment

Hate to bring up an old thread, but I was wondering when it would be appropriate to start reaching out towards a state's OSM that I'm interested in serving in and how I go about that process.

Comment

Start reaching out now. Some states, and depending on the OSM, it can take a very long time for the bureaucracy to get moving. The earlier the OSM knows to be looking out for you, the easier it'll be. The process is just to call a NG recruiter in the state you're looking to serve, and ask for the OSM's phone number. Then call him up and explain your situation. Depending on the time-frame, he'll start looking for slots for you.

Comment

Start reaching out now. Some states, and depending on the OSM, it can take a very long time for the bureaucracy to get moving. Some states are much quicker. The earlier the OSM knows to be looking out for you, the easier it'll be. The process is just to call a NG recruiter in the state you're looking to serve, and ask for the OSM's phone number. Then call him up and explain your situation. Depending on the time-frame, he'll start looking for slots for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X