X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Removal Date

Having a difficult time finding information regarding my situation. I seem to get different information each time I ask a question. I'm trying to find out when my Mandatory Removal Date and/or Mandatory Retirement Date is. These two terms seem to be interchangeable...not sure if there is a difference or not.

1. I earned my commission on 3/7/2008. I'm currently waiting on FEDREC so I can pin on CPT...vacancy promotion. I currently have a little over 5 years of commissioned service.
    2. I served 14 years on active duty. After my deployment in 2010 and, a few sets of ADOS orders, I now have 16 years AFS.
    3. I'm 42 years old.

Also, are officers allowed to serve past 20 years AFS...or are they forced out at that time.

I'm trying to put in for an AGR position, but want to make sure I'm eligible first. Position description states Officers must be able to serve 3 years prior to hitting 18 years AS. I wont. However, AR 135-18 has a waiver for this requirement. Then, Officers must be able to serve 5 years prior to MRD. Trying to get details.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Mandatory Removal Date

Officers face a retention board at 20 years AFS, although your State may choose to allow you to continue past 20 AFS.

Just because a waiver is available doesn't mean you'll get it.

To calculate your MRD, visit this site. Basically, it's the first day of the month after you reach age 60, or 28 years of commissioned service [this is a big simplification, but will satisfy the majority of readers]. For all the gory details, review AR 600-8-24, and relevant Army-G1 and ARNG-G1 policy documents.

Comment

Thank you for the insight Sir. My MRD isn't until 2030, according to that site.

Comment

Originally posted by MP31A View Post
        Having a difficult time finding information regarding my situation. I seem to get different information each time I ask a question. I'm trying to find out when my Mandatory Removal Date and/or Mandatory Retirement Date is. These two terms seem to be interchangeable...not sure if there is a difference or not.

1. I earned my commission on 3/7/2008. I'm currently waiting on FEDREC so I can pin on CPT...vacancy promotion. I currently have a little over 5 years of commissioned service.
        2. I served 14 years on active duty. After my deployment in 2010 and, a few sets of ADOS orders, I now have 16 years AFS.
        3. I'm 42 years old.

Also, are officers allowed to serve past 20 years AFS...or are they forced out at that time.

I'm trying to put in for an AGR position, but want to make sure I'm eligible first. Position description states Officers must be able to serve 3 years prior to hitting 18 years AS. I wont. However, AR 135-18 has a waiver for this requirement. Then, Officers must be able to serve 5 years prior to MRD. Trying to get details.

Any help would be appreciated.
        LTC Ritchie, who usually is, is correct. In your situation with that much AFS, you may find it difficult to secure AGR. I would recommend trying to obtain a set of title 10 orders taking you anywhere for 730 days and/or volunteering for a 365 tour with option to renew....this could get you over the 18 year AFS hump which would allow you to pursue sanctuary and obtain a 20 year active duty retirement.

Comment

Of course this stupid site let me type out a long a$$ paragraph and then want moderator approval. Long story short, you need to deploy and get over 18 years AFS and pursue sanctuary. Notice I said deploy, active duty for training orders wont cut it.

Moderator approve the other post, it was more detailed.

Comment

While sanctuary would give him a retirement, he would not retire as an officer as he needs 10 years of commissioned service. He's only got 5 years as an officer and 4 more years as for retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              While sanctuary would give him a retirement, he would not retire as an officer as he needs 10 years of commissioned service. He's only got 5 years as an officer and 4 more years as for retirement.
              Retiring "as an officer" is nothing more than a rank on an ID card. While I have searched vigorously for this mysterious "10 year rule", I haven't been able to find it. US code seems to indicate he would retire as an officer, but lets not focus on that. The reason why it doesn't really matter is dfas is going to do a "high 3" or 36 month average of highest base pay as if he was on active duty the entire 20 years, hence receiving officer retirement money even if his I'd card holds a different rank.

If anyone has a regulatory reference for all the "ten year" talk this site has please share.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
                Retiring "as an officer" is nothing more than a rank on an ID card. While I have searched vigorously for this mysterious "10 year rule", I haven't been able to find it. US code seems to indicate he would retire as an officer, but lets not focus on that. The reason why it doesn't really matter is dfas is going to do a "high 3" or 36 month average of highest base pay as if he was on active duty the entire 20 years, hence receiving officer retirement money even if his I'd card holds a different rank.

If anyone has a regulatory reference for all the "ten year" talk this site has please share.
                No, here's the correct info:

3-e-1-B): (Final Pay)

B) OFFICERS WHO RETIRE UNDER THE FINAL BASIC PAY PLAN WITH LESS THAN 10 YEARS OF COMMISSIONED SERVICE retire in their highest enlisted or warrant officer grade. They receive a percentage of the final basic pay that corresponds to the retired grade and years of service at retirement.

and:

3-e-2-B): (High-3 Plan)

B) COMMISSIONED OFFICERS WHO WERE FORMER ENLISTED, who retire with less than 10 years of commissioned service and less than 30 years of total service, will use only enlisted basic pay in the calculation of their highest 36 months of basic pay (Section 1407, Title 10 USC). The enlisted basic pay corresponding to the member’s years of service for the 36 months before retirement will be used. NOTE: Commissioned warrant officer time may be used to meet the 10-year commissioned service requirement.

DA G-1 Guidance
                Last edited by RedLeg; June 5th, 2013, 04:25 AM. Reason: Fixed link

Comment

No, here's the correct info:

3-e-1-B): (Final Pay)

B) OFFICERS WHO RETIRE UNDER THE FINAL BASIC PAY PLAN WITH LESS THAN 10 YEARS OF COMMISSIONED SERVICE retire in their highest enlisted or warrant officer grade. They receive a percentage of the final basic pay that corresponds to the retired grade and years of service at retirement.

and:

3-e-2-B): (High-3 Plan)

B) COMMISSIONED OFFICERS WHO WERE FORMER ENLISTED, who retire with less than 10 years of commissioned service and less than 30 years of total service, will use only enlisted basic pay in the calculation of their highest 36 months of basic pay (Section 1407, Title 10 USC). The enlisted basic pay corresponding to the member’s years of service for the 36 months before retirement will be used. NOTE: Commissioned warrant officer time may be used to meet the 10-year commissioned service requirement.

DA G-1 Guidance
                  Ok, look...this is a topic that is rare because I can't spout off with concrete facts...however, when I put the smack down it is with army and or dod in print regulation. Posting a link in a forum, to another forum does not give you the right to come up in here with the "no" thunder. I'm not saying you are wrong, however no official source of this information has yet to be posted upon request.

Thank you.

Comment

The reason I never got the 10 year rule, was because it was before my time. You are stating out dated rules at this point. You may want to try reading these.....

http://www.monterey.army.mil/Human_R...t_Pay_Plan_(2)[1].pdf

http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/plan/estimate.html

http://militarypay.defense.gov/retirement/

http://www.feddesk.com/freehandbooks...ementGuide.pdf

...It's like...Boom shake, shake, shake the room... tic, tic, tic, tic, BOOM!

Comment

Ok, look...this is a topic that is rare because I can't spout off with concrete facts...however, when I put the smack down it is with army and or dod in print regulation. Posting a link in a forum, to another forum does not give you the right to come up in here with the "no" thunder. I'm not saying you are wrong, however no official source of this information has yet to be posted upon request.

Thank you.
                      Settle down, I copied the wrong link. Anyways, officers probably know about how thier retirements works then you.

http://www.armyg1.army.mil/rso/docs/...ling-Guide.pdf

Comment

Yes, ten years of service for RLOs and six years for WOs. I have the info in WONET. Search S1NET for details.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                          Yes, ten years of service for RLOs and six years for WOs. I have the info in WONET. Search S1NET for details.
                          Chief, no...like I said this is the old system. If your DIEMS date is prior to 1986...then yes. Everyone since then is on a High 3. That is all. You will retire at the rank you currently hold upon retirement, unless you submit a grade determination for a variety of reasons...but that still wouldn't change retired pay.

Example 1. A captain with 11 years of service...gets out and enlists in for nine years, makes it to E-7, will retire as a SFC, with the high 36 / high 3 average.

Example 2. A SFC has eleven years of service, goes to OCS and makes it to captain in the remaining 9 years, this guy retires as a Captain with the high 36 / high 3 being almost identical to scenario 1. This retired pay might be slightly higher because the SM would have had more time in service while receiving his captain pay.

Both those scenarios assume the DIEMS date is past 1986.
                          Last edited by Mr.Incognito; June 6th, 2013, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Anyways, officers probably know about how thier retirements works then you.
                            Apparently not.

Comment

Chief, no...like I said this is the old system. If your DIEMS date is prior to 1986...then yes. Everyone since then is on a High 3. That is all. You will retire at the rank you currently hold upon retirement, unless you submit a grade determination for a variety of reasons...but that still wouldn't change retired pay.

Example 1. A captain with 11 years of service...gets out and enlists in for nine years, makes it to E-7, will retire as a SFC, with the high 36 / high 3 average.

Example 2. A SFC has eleven years of service, goes to OCS and makes it to captain in the remaining 9 years, this guy retires as a Captain with the high 36 / high 3 being almost identical to scenario 1. This retired pay might be slightly higher because the SM would have had more time in service while receiving his captain pay.

Both those scenarios assume the DIEMS date is past 1986.
                              Tracking and thanks for the update (Yes, my DIEMS is 1983). I still have time before I start my ACAP for retirement, so my information is stale, but at least I know I will retire as a Warrant.

Comment

Working...
                              X