Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do Officers do if they need to take a leave of absence?

I understand that officers are unable to enter the ING (at least according to the resources that I've read).

I am planning on getting my Ph.D., and may need a year or two off of active drilling status in order to do research abroad/finish my dissertation.

Now, I understand, normally, that some officers might resign their commission or enter the IRR, but I was a GRFD - DED NG scholarship recipient during college, which incurs an 8 year active drilling status.

So, I'm not sure exactly what my options are. Most likely, I will be in my 5th-7th year of that contract when I expect I'll need to take that time off. Is it possible that I can go to the IRR for two years (with a remaining service obligation) and then return to fulfill the rest of my contract? Are there units that might be more flexible with drill times (similar to the IMA in the reserves)?

I also plan on continuing my service in the reserves for quite some while, and so do not want alternatives to necessarily hinder my ability to grow and perform as an officer.

Any advice would be great!

Thank you!

Re: What do Officers do if they need to take a leave of absence?

It looks like you'll do your PhD after you fulfill the eight year commitment. The scholarship obligation runs eight years from commissioning day, and is a National Guard-specific obligation.

Comment

Depending on where you would go abroad, consider the reserves for that time. If its someplace in Europe or near a military activity you could possibly drill with the reserve command near you or do a SUTA with the military post there if you find a unit to take you on and your command lets you.

It was kind of an odd situation but when I was in Rotterdam I had a washington state national guard 1LT that was also abroad as a civilian. For a year he drilled in my office and I signed off on his paperwork that he had showed up and performed well, etc.

Comment

There are ways to make it work, you just need to get with your CoC when the time comes closer. Not to get into specifics, but I'll have a similar situation down the road. You may have to drill elsewhere, take some IRR time or the like.

Comment

Working...
        X