Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Phase 0 drill before Phase I (APFT, injured)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Phase 0 drill before Phase I (APFT, injured)

I am attending my first Phase 0 drill this Friday. As I understand it, on Saturday morning there is to be an APFT, the passing of which is mandatory in order to be accepted into the current OCS class before Phase I starts next month. While I can easily pass under normal circumstances, I have a temporary issue with my left leg which may impair my ability to run.

Last week I had a small, benign cyst on my calf get infected. The doctor prescribed some antibiotics. Up until Monday I was still able to perform my regular cardiovascular PT. Yesterday and today, though, I am moving about with some difficulty. While the swelling is still present, it is starting to leak fluids -- which I understand from my doctor to be a good sign.

Here's my dilemma. Do I notify someone now about my health issue? I fully intend on taking the PT test (I have been looking forward to it for so long). My fear is that the pain will intensify halfway through, and cause me to slow/stop. I don't want to be THAT guy who is on profile his first day (and I especially don't want to miss my chance at attending this year's OCS class). Or do I suck it up, not mention anything, and give it my best regardless the outcome?

I can get a note from my doctor, that's not a problem. I'm just confused how I should proceed. This swollen calf is definitely bad timing, I just hope it doesn't affect my army career!

Opinions are welcomed and appreciated!

Re: Last Phase 0 drill before Phase I (APFT, injured)

Well.... exactly, how bad does it hurt?

I suggest you go run 2 miles tonight like your life depends on it and see how you do. If you are no where near passing, then yea, you probably would want to bring it up.

If you are passing with a score that you want, suck it up, rub some ambesol in it, bandage it like a mummy and push through the pain. You'll have time to heal next week. You wouldn't be the first troop to perform with an injury and certainly won't be the last.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
      Well.... exactly, how bad does it hurt?

I suggest you go run 2 miles tonight like your life depends on it and see how you do. If you are no where near passing, then yea, you probably would want to bring it up.

If you are passing with a score that you want, suck it up, rub some ambesol in it, bandage it like a mummy and push through the pain. You'll have time to heal next week. You wouldn't be the first troop to perform with an injury and certainly won't be the last.
      I second this statement. You cant do any sort of modified PT test and it is required to go to phase I. Hopefully you have some additional rest time in between the PT test and phase I. Phase I is very rigorous.

Comment

Originally posted by spcchap View Post
        I am attending my first Phase 0 drill this Friday. As I understand it, on Saturday morning there is to be an APFT, the passing of which is mandatory in order to be accepted into the current OCS class before Phase I starts next month. While I can easily pass under normal circumstances, I have a temporary issue with my left leg which may impair my ability to run.

Last week I had a small, benign cyst on my calf get infected. The doctor prescribed some antibiotics. Up until Monday I was still able to perform my regular cardiovascular PT. Yesterday and today, though, I am moving about with some difficulty. While the swelling is still present, it is starting to leak fluids -- which I understand from my doctor to be a good sign.

Here's my dilemma. Do I notify someone now about my health issue? I fully intend on taking the PT test (I have been looking forward to it for so long). My fear is that the pain will intensify halfway through, and cause me to slow/stop. I don't want to be THAT guy who is on profile his first day (and I especially don't want to miss my chance at attending this year's OCS class). Or do I suck it up, not mention anything, and give it my best regardless the outcome?

I can get a note from my doctor, that's not a problem. I'm just confused how I should proceed. This swollen calf is definitely bad timing, I just hope it doesn't affect my army career!

Opinions are welcomed and appreciated!
        Work with your chain of command. They may have an actual hard date by which they have to put you into Phase 1 in ATTRS later than the last Phase 0 drill. All you have to technically do is pass an APFT before that date. There's a chance it could provide you an extra week or two for recovery. You may have to come in on your own time to do the APFT.

Comment

Don't even worry about profiles. They don't let people ride profiles through OCS, they just kick you out. If you go into Phase I hurt then you're going to come out in even worse shape, or possibly you'll come out of there broke. I've seen it happen. I've even seen soldiers who managed to suck it up during Phase I make it home just to break right at the beginning of Phase II.

You'll do yourself a favor now if you notify your cadre of your issue. Just peering into the crystal ball, it will look better if you were to resign from the program for a medical issue now then to get broke and be an LOD later down the line. You'd probably have better chances in getting back in (and successfully making it through) the program later if you were to exit now and heal up, also.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            Work with your chain of command. They may have an actual hard date by which they have to put you into Phase 1 in ATTRS later than the last Phase 0 drill. All you have to technically do is pass an APFT before that date. There's a chance it could provide you an extra week or two for recovery. You may have to come in on your own time to do the APFT.
            I don't know what state the OP is in. But I know here in Alabama even if an OC fails the last PT test before Phase I they can take the test one more time a day or two before Phase I actually starts. Don't go hunting me down looking for an exact day. The OP just needs to call his tech Sergeant to find out. And he should have a phone tree with all the appropriate POCs.

Comment

My only concern is if the OP is in the running for AOCS. If he gets a crappy score or misses the APFT, he may not get it.

It's a good idea to let your CoC know, but I still say push through it if you can.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I pushed through it and passed. I leaked blood like a sieve, but I made it!

Comment

Hardcore.

Good job.

Comment

Originally posted by spcchap View Post
                    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I pushed through it and passed. I leaked blood like a sieve, but I made it!
                    Good Lord OP. I hope you got that taken care of patched up. Don't need to be passing around any BBPs to the OCS class.

If you don't mind, how did you do on the APFT? Better than normal? Lower? Average?

Comment

There's pushing through it and there's being stupid. Pushing through it is mucsles being sore from working out. Being stupid is a walking bio hazzard. Keep in mind at OCS, you're not going to have the time to change the bandages ect like you can at home, plus all the time out the field ect. Don't turn a temporary injury into a permenant one.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                        There's pushing through it and there's being stupid. Pushing through it is mucsles being sore from working out. Being stupid is a walking bio hazzard. Keep in mind at OCS, you're not going to have the time to change the bandages ect like you can at home, plus all the time out the field ect. Don't turn a temporary injury into a permenant one.
                        From his previous post sir, he just had a cyst on his leg. It'll heal up before his next drill and should be good to go.... as long as he TAKES CARE OF IT. He'd be wise to pound the antibiotics the next few weeks and Neosporin the hell out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                          From his previous post sir, he just had a cyst on his leg. It'll heal up before his next drill and should be good to go.... as long as he TAKES CARE OF IT. He'd be wise to pound the antibiotics the next few weeks and Neosporin the hell out of it.

Comment

Working...
                          X