X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCS

Got a few questions in terms of transitioning over to the Officer side of the Army:

I am commissioning in May of next year (2014), so I know I have a bit of time. We're starting to put in our accessions packets for branches of duty stations, which is what got me thinking about where I'd want to go.

My #1 choice is for Military Intelligence, however I would not mind branch detailing into a combat arms branch (FA, AR, EN, and IN being my choices) and after my first 4 years then transitioning into MI.

With that said, I am fairly certain what my choices are for branches, with slight changes, if any, over the next several months or so.

My uncertainty is along the lines of duty stations. I would prefer to stay where I'm at and be stationed at Ft. Bliss, seeing as though my wife and I have a baby on the way and I'd like him/her to be able to get to know both of our families who are also here. Not to mention the stress of PCS and re-adjusting would be another issue. I'm not saying I wouldn't want to PCS ever, I would actually love to be stationed elsewhere (including overseas) it just seems to me that right now it would be more of a burden than anything.

I've heard different things about Ft. Bliss: it's run poorly, the units are a bureaucratic mess, and also that it's a very good first duty station. I already know the area so that's a plus. From those that are/recently have been stationed at Ft. Bliss what are you experiences? Also, if Ft. Bliss ends up not being in the cards, what are some other good duty stations to go for (i.e. good units, good area to raise a child/start a family, opportunity for deployment/progression) thanks for any advise/input.

Re: PCS

Are you wishing to commission for active service? I thought you were remaining NG.

Comment

Well, let me try to respond if you are thinking about active duty and how does PCS work for us. Well, in your case, if you going to come active, then you will deal with your assignment manager on where you may be assigned and it all depends on needs of the Army.

When I was in Germany, I was just offered Carson and Bliss and I chose Carson because I heard a lot of negativity about Bliss; especially the crime.

Well, a fellow Signal Warrant buddy of mine came to my house the other day and he left Bliss this year to come to Carson and he said the crime is higher in Colorado Springs than when he was at Bliss.

I think Carson is ok but I heard great things about Fort Lewis, Hawaii and Fort Sam Houston.

I been stationed at Carson, Campbell (its ok there but very hooah if you like), Gordon and overseas. And the other day, someone recommended Fort Polk to me as a duty station. I been there three times in the box and once working the PEHA when I went there with the Connecticut National Guard the year that JFK Jr. died. I was driving all over post and it looked so homely to me. But everyone has different opinions.

If you come active; as an officer, you will be expected to move/PCS every three years. That is why I came back on active duty because I like traveling and to experience different posts. I found that bug when I initially served on active duty in the Marine Corps. I always knew I was going to complete an active duty career. Technician/ADOS/AGR is not the same; even when AGR works for AD units. But I am hoping to get some nice assignments to work at a reserve unit. A former MSG that I use to know use to work for some when he was stationed in Georgia and Tampa. I never had nice assignments like those.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; April 27th, 2013, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
        Well, let me try to respond if you are thinking about active duty and how does PCS work for us. Well, in your case, if you going to come active, then you will deal with your assignment manager on where you may be assigned and it all depends on needs of the Army.

When I was in Germany, I was just offered Carson and Bliss and I choose Carson because I heard a lot of negativity about Bliss; especially the crime.

Well, a fellow Signal Warrant buddy of mine came to my house the other day and he left Bliss this year to come to Carson and he said the crime is higher in Colorado Springs than when he was at Bliss.

I think Carson is ok but I heard great things about Fort Lewis, Hawaii and Fort Sam Houston.

I been stationed at Carson, Campbell (its ok there but very hooah if you like), Gordon and overseas. And the other day, someone recommended Fort Polk to me as a duty station. I been there three times in the box and once working the PEHA when I went there with the Connecticut National Guard the year that JFK Jr. died. I was driving all over post and it looked so homely to me. But everyone has different opinions.

If you come active; as an officer, you will be expected to move/PCS every three years. That is why I came back on active duty because I like traveling and to experience different posts. I found that bug when I initially served on active duty in the Marine Corps. I always knew I was going to complete an active duty career. Technician/ADOS/AGR is not the same; even when AGR works for AD units. But I am hoping to get some nice assignments to work at a reserve unit. A former MSG that I use to know use to work for some when he was stationed in Georgia and Tampa. I never had nice assignments like those.
        No definitely want active duty! Just trying to get a feel for post experiences some good friends of mine told me ft bliss finance is horrible and a bad career move

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
          No definitely want active duty! Just trying to get a feel for post experiences some good friends of mine told me ft bliss finance is horrible and a bad career move
          Well, a finance issue is small compared overall to the climate of the whole post. I do not know why they would say it is a bad career move. You take the hard jobs and mixed your staff and command assignments; and you will be good to go, regardless of where you are stationed at.

A former MP that I know was stationed here and he said it was the best assignment he ever had. And it was a very small area to be stationed at.

http://www.smdc.army.mil/kwaj/baseops.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwajalein_Atoll

I realize if you post an URL in your reply; it states it needs moderator approval.

Comment

CDT, how did you score on the OML as of now? That is going to be the main factor is deciding what you want/get. From experience, if you want MI, you had better be top 10%.

If you want to stay local, Bliss and Hood should be in your top 2. Ft Sam Houston is also possible, but they have little/no MI there, so that'll be a conflict. There is a way to work the OML system to your benefit, but you have to know where you stand, what you want to branch and where to go. PM me for more info....

Comment

As of now I am 3rd in my class; my school does not inform us of your national OML ranking as that info comes from Cadet Command and needs to have LDAC performance evaluations factored in since they are such a big percentage of how you stack up with others. I ended up turning in my accessions packet volunteering for a branch detail for FA. We've been told we can still make changes after we get back from LDAC so not really much to worry about there I suppose. I also ended up volunteering for one ADSO term to get Ft. Bliss with my second choice being Ft. Hood. Although, I've been told that unless you agree to an ADSO for a separate duty station, the Army will most likely keep all of us here at Ft. Bliss lol no skin off my back

Comment

Trust me, I am not trying to belittle you achievements but 3rd in class for ROTC doesn't really say a whole lot (For Ex: 3rd in class of 12 means you are top 20%). MI officers come from top 10%.. nationwide on the OML (Or those who the NG selected. Again though, have to be top in the state to get it).

What I should have asked you, and I apologize, is what is your GPA, APFT score and extracurriculars? When I was in MIBOLC, the class was full of super smart, 3.8+ GPAs/270+ APFTs or those who got it from the NG. There was very little difference between the 2.

LDAC is going to make or break you in terms of OML. Your last sentence kinda confused me in terms of "Ft Bliss". You have to look at what type of base FT Bliss is in terms of units... It's not MI heavy, but they have a lot of FA and ADA. So yea, there is a good chance you would get it if you wanted it.

Comment

Working...
                X