Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPT Requesting Transfer to IRR with 4 years left on MSO

Hello,

I'm currently a CPT in the NG with almost 4 years left on my MSO. I asked my unit if/when I could request a transfer to the IRR. My unit advised that they spoke with our state O-branch who said that I could request a transfer at anytime... I was under the impression that I had to serve at least 6 years for some reason. Is this true? I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row before I even mention this to my Chain of Command. Thanks in advance.

A little background on me. I enlisted as an 11B in 2006 then later commissioned as an MSC Officer in May of 2009 (ROTC non-scholarship).

Re: CPT Requesting Transfer to IRR with 4 years left on MSO

You have a six-year drilling obligation from the date of commission (eight years if an ROTC scholarship recipient; see thread linked in my signature block below), although your TAG can choose release you early to the IRR.

Whether you can do something is an entirely different question than whether you should do it, so perhaps we should explore the reasons that drove you to this path, to see if it's actually the best course of action for your situation.

Comment

Sir,

Thank you for the feedback. This clarifies some things, it looks like I got some incorrect advice.

My main reason to look at transitioning to the IRR has to do with my civilian career. I currently own/manage my own business and I am the sole income earner for my family (wife @ home with two kids). My reserve obligation seems to be getting harder and harder to maintain every month without having a negative effect on my business. I currently drive 6+ hours to drill every month (closest unit/slot) for my job as a 70H.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkysoup56 View Post
        Sir,

Thank you for the feedback. This clarifies some things, it looks like I got some incorrect advice.

My main reason to look at transitioning to the IRR has to do with my civilian career. I currently own/manage my own business and I am the sole income earner for my family (wife @ home with two kids). My reserve obligation seems to be getting harder and harder to maintain every month without having a negative effect on my business. I currently drive 6+ hours to drill every month (closest unit/slot) for my job as a 70H.
        That's a small career field, you have few options for assignment. Did you earn your commission through the AMEDD direct appointment process, or did you complete ROTC/OCS? Could you develop some projects to work with units closer to home and split-train on occasion? Reducing the commute would make a significant impact.

Have you discussed this with your commander?

Comment

Working...
        X