X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation Units

BLUF: I am currently a SMP cadet graduating in December 2013. I am at an awesome Aviation Unit in Ohio (1-137th Air Assault Battalion) and I recently put my aviation packet in and got accepted (they say in June I will find out when I'll go to Ft. Rucker)! The only problem is my unit only has UH-60's and CH-47's. Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to fly them, but I am more of an attack helicopter kinda guy and am really interested in Apaches and Kiowa's.

Questions: Whats the best way to find National Guard Units with Attack Helicopters?
    Is it possible to apply and get accepted for an aviation slot in another state before I move down there?
    Is it possible to switch units while at flight school?
    Should I just go to flight school, come back, see how I feel and then switch to an Apache unit if I still feel the same way?

Re: Aviation Units

Originally posted by Kyle George Webb View Post
    BLUF: I am currently a SMP cadet graduating in December 2013. I am at an awesome Aviation Unit in Ohio (1-137th Air Assault Battalion) and I recently put my aviation packet in and got accepted (they say in June I will find out when I'll go to Ft. Rucker)! The only problem is my unit only has UH-60's and CH-47's. Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to fly them, but I am more of an attack helicopter kinda guy and am really interested in Apaches and Kiowa's.

Questions: Whats the best way to find National Guard Units with Attack Helicopters?
    Is it possible to apply and get accepted for an aviation slot in another state before I move down there?
    Should I just go to flight school, come back, see how I feel and then switch to an Apache unit if I still feel the same way?
    First, before we get into this. First identify your goals. Do you plan on flying in any civilian capacity? While fun, there is an incredible down side to the Apache airframe depending upon career goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
      First, before we get into this. First identify your goals. Do you plan on flying in any civilian capacity? While fun, there is an incredible down side to the Apache airframe depending upon career goals.
      Thanks for replying!
      I have heard that before. I would like to fly in the civilian side (if I get enough hours) but I think my dream job is flying full time for the Army in an instructor pilot slot for an apache unit. And whats the difference in the apaches air frame that makes it less convertible to the civilian side?

Comment

OH-58Ds are only in TN. Likely the airframe I'll end up getting.

Apaches are in ID, MO, NC, PA, SC, and TX.

As to switching units at Flight School, highly unlikely if not impossible. The AD guys at FSXXI are going to be competing for airframes. Being NG is unique, as your State Aviation Officer is going to lock you into a unit and airframe based on "needs of the state" so to speak. You aren't going to get the chance to change.

There are plenty of pilots that are multi-rated though. Say a vacancy pops up with a different airframe a couple years down the road...you can do a transition course from say a -64 to a -60 or vice versa. Does that make sense?

Comment

If you've got the AV branch locked in already, take it and run.

Seriously. It's a difficult chore getting that to begin with and to lose it in favor of *trying* to get another airframe would royally suck. Like OC McClure said, you can look into multi-rating down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
            OH-58Ds are only in TN. Likely the airframe I'll end up getting.

Apaches are in ID, MO, NC, PA, SC, and TX.

As to switching units at Flight School, highly unlikely if not impossible. The AD guys at FSXXI are going to be competing for airframes. Being NG is unique, as your State Aviation Officer is going to lock you into a unit and airframe based on "needs of the state" so to speak. You aren't going to get the chance to change.

There are plenty of pilots that are multi-rated though. Say a vacancy pops up with a different airframe a couple years down the road...you can do a transition course from say a -64 to a -60 or vice versa. Does that make sense?
            MS has Kiowas and Apaches too.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
              If you've got the AV branch locked in already, take it and run.

Seriously. It's a difficult chore getting that to begin with and to lose it in favor of *trying* to get another airframe would royally suck. Like OC McClure said, you can look into multi-rating down the road.
              Most difficult part right there.

Comment

Originally posted by j.stetzer View Post
                Most difficult part right there.
                Then the next difficult part is getting your date for Mother Rucker. Now try doing that in the midst of sequestration and a reduction in FS seats . Yay.

Comment

Thanks for replying!
                  I have heard that before. I would like to fly in the civilian side (if I get enough hours) but I think my dream job is flying full time for the Army in an instructor pilot slot for an apache unit. And whats the difference in the apaches air frame that makes it less convertible to the civilian side?
                  Apaches only have NDB's and are not instrument rated aircraft. Kind of a big deal when you're looking for civilian employment, seeing as your only weather time will be what you get in instruments in flight school (and most of that will be time under a hood as opposed to actual weather time, trust me there is a huge difference. You don't get spacial disorientation under a hood the way you do actually flying in the clouds). Same goes for Kiowas (except they're only single engine aircraft on top of that). Also the mission is just not practical in the civilian world, the cargo/personnel transport or medevac mission of the 60/47 will be much more valuable.

At the end of the day, once you get to your advanced airframe in flight school you will be indoctrinated enough that you're positive its the best aircraft in the army and all the others suck.

Oh, and as far as flying full time as an instructor pilot. You're really kind of headed in the wrong direction if that's what you want to do. IP/MTP/Safety officer/TACOPS officer are WO tracks. In the past O grades have been aloud to go to those schools, however I see that slowing down a whole lot due to current budget cuts. On top of that some states just will not bring an O grade on full time to do a WO's job.
                  Last edited by ack202; April 9th, 2013, 12:27 AM.

Comment

What you wrote is in no way a BLUF.

A true BLUF for a your post would be something such as, "I'm an SMP cadet branched Avaition, interested in guidance on changing airframes. Here's some key points of background: ..."

Comment

Working...
                    X