X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCS Mandatory Service Obligation

I was reading the forums and I saw that a question answered about an officer's mandatory service obligation.

I was just trying to get some answers since no one has pointed me in the right direction for my specific case. My background is I enlisted in 2006 with a 6 by 2 year commitment. In 2010 I went to OCS and graduated.

What document did I sign, upon completing OCS, states that my MSO is a 6 year commitment?

The only document that I have browsed that has anything of some sort of commitment written in it is my NGB-62E. Under the third page it states that as long as I remain in an active drilling status for the remainder of my original obligation or two years whichever is later, then I'm good to go. Both dates have passed if I do not include my two years in the IRR that I can choose to do to fulfill the last 2 years of my commitment. My PQR has my original service obligation date and an magical 31AUG2038 ETS date also in it.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction since I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my career upon redeployment.

Thanks for your responses.

Re: OCS Mandatory Service Obligation

Most likely you did not sign a specific document relating to your obligation, which is codified in regulation (see the link in my signature block for additional guidance). I have recommended for years that our commissioning sources document the service obligation in a counseling statement, or DA3575, or something, because this issue crops up with some frequency.

The short answer is that you have a drilling obligation for six years upon commissioning. Your TAG can waive that obligation, although he'll want to see some sort of compelling reason.

Comment

So if I did not sign any specific document and I have met the requirement as stated in my NGB-62E, how am I bound to a new contract if my signature is not on a piece of a paper? I understand that a brand new officer with no prior service would have the 6 by 2 year commitment, but if there is no paper trail of a new commitment, I do not see how I am required to fulfill a new obligation.

I understand it might be codfied in a regulation but don't I have to sign something to be held to the new regulation that now applies to me?

Thank you for your time Sir.

Comment

This is one big difference between enlisted and officers. Usually the hard part in an officer career is staying in, not getting out.

The presumption is that someone who spends such a great amount of time and effort to earn his commission wouldn't be in such a rush to give it up. You incurred your obligation by signing up for OCS, and accepting your commission. While not intending to sound sarcastic, I would have imagined that this question would have arisen prior to volunteering for OCS.

As a practical matter, if you get your chain of command's endorsement, you have a high likelihood of an early transfer to the IRR.

Perhaps you could describe the concerns that drive this question: why do you want to get out early?

Comment

I know this is a Guard OCS topic but when I was near graduation from WOCS, I received a DA-71 and Appointment letter that stated the conditions of my appointment. When my ORB finally was activated, my ADSO (active-duty service obligation) was set for six years. Then when I got promoted to CW2, I incurred a new date on my ADSO (one year more).

My question is, (since the OP stated he did not sign a document) do you sign a document upon commissioning?

Comment

Plus it was mentioned on my orders that are in my iPerms. Here is a snapshot.

Comment

At least for DC I know I signed two separate documents when I joined a few months ago, one accepting state commission and one for federal. I can't remember if they had the service obligation on those forms. However, I do remember signing a separate form as part of my application package that had my 8 year obligation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
                At least for DC I know I signed two separate documents when I joined a few months ago, one accepting state commission and one for federal. I can't remember if they had the service obligation on those forms. However, I do remember signing a separate form as part of my application package that had my 8 year obligation.
                Interesting. Thanks for responding.

Comment

Working...
                X