X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting to commission...

I'm in need of some advice/guidance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I recently graduated AOCS from the AMA on 3/15. I'm back home now (Utah) and am waiting to get all my documents approved so I can commission. There were four of us who attended AOCS and we all are stuck in limbo waiting for some packet from Alabama to make it here to Utah so it can be presented to the board.

I understand that things take a while and I know I'm a bit antsy to get that butter-bar but I also have drill and AT in April and really don't want to attend them as an E4. From the looks of things we may not be able to actually commission until May.

I don't want to step on the wrong person's toes but is there anything I can do to help speed up the process? If I'm not able to commission before AT, is there any way to get back paid as an O1 for those two weeks?

Thanks!

Re: Waiting to commission...

You can make it worse, but you can't make it better. From what you've described, I'm not sure of the situation that you face. While you deserve an answer as to what's going on, you may have no ability to affect your situation materially for the better.

If you do attend drill, you'd still be an OCS candidate, not an SPC, right?

Your pay as a lieutenant is effective on the date of appointment as shown on your commissioning orders.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
      You can make it worse, but you can't make it better. From what you've described, I'm not sure of the situation that you face. While you deserve an answer as to what's going on, you may have no ability to affect your situation materially for the better.

If you do attend drill, you'd still be an OCS candidate, not an SPC, right?

Your pay as a lieutenant is effective on the date of appointment as shown on your commissioning orders.
      Thank you for the reply Sir. That's pretty much what I had figured.

After I had returned home and reported to my unit, I noticed in iPERMS that I was demoted from E6 to E4. I guess since I'm not technically in OCS anymore I'm back to being a SPC not a Candidate. Attending drill won't be a huge deal or anything but I'd really like to attend our two week AT as a 2LT.

Comment

Just curious if the OP had heard any news?

Comment

Originally posted by BensZ28 View Post
          I'm in need of some advice/guidance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I recently graduated AOCS from the AMA on 3/15. I'm back home now (Utah) and am waiting to get all my documents approved so I can commission. There were four of us who attended AOCS and we all are stuck in limbo waiting for some packet from Alabama to make it here to Utah so it can be presented to the board.

I understand that things take a while and I know I'm a bit antsy to get that butter-bar but I also have drill and AT in April and really don't want to attend them as an E4. From the looks of things we may not be able to actually commission until May.

I don't want to step on the wrong person's toes but is there anything I can do to help speed up the process? If I'm not able to commission before AT, is there any way to get back paid as an O1 for those two weeks?

Thanks!
          Just got an email on AKO from the OCS readiness Sergeant a couple days ago. He's been backed up with graduation and he's also trying to process deficiency files for incoming OC's. Keep your eyes open on AKO in the coming two weeks.

Comment

Here's a little update:

I've found out that in Utah, OC's used to be able to hold the E6 paygrade until they commission unless they choose to defer their commission. In 2013 this changed. Now OC's automatically revert back to their prior paygrade as soon as they graduate OCS.

Thankfully, the OCS Commander was able to work with my unit, explain the situation and work some things out. While commissioning sooner isn't a possibility, I have been allowed to keep the E6 rank until May.

Not sure how it works in other states but I now understand the way it works in Utah...

Comment

Working...
            X