Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstate Transfer questions

Hello and thank you for your time,
    I am a third year SMP Cadet and will be receiving my commission May 14. I am staying reserves due to not wanting to drag my family around and will commission through the SDNG. I have a probable job opportunity in Wyoming as a deputy. How difficult is it to transfer states as an officer. I have found alot of information for enlisted but officer info seems scarce. Any information is appreciated.

Thank you,
    Derek

Re: Interstate Transfer questions

Originally posted by Dereklankford View Post
    Hello and thank you for your time,
    I am a third year SMP Cadet and will be receiving my commission May 14. I am staying reserves due to not wanting to drag my family around and will commission through the SDNG. I have a probable job opportunity in Wyoming as a deputy. How difficult is it to transfer states as an officer. I have found alot of information for enlisted but officer info seems scarce. Any information is appreciated.

Thank you,
    Derek
    Before you get in the weeds as a NG officer and transferring, I would considering commissioning in the USAR. It is much easier to transfer.

Comment

I've been NG for 5 years now and really enjoy it. I'd prefer to stay NG if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dereklankford View Post
        I've been NG for 5 years now and really enjoy it. I'd prefer to stay NG if possible.
        Because (insert reason here). The NG has better perks but I believe it has a lot to do with the unit. If you found a good unit in the USAR, it may entice you to switch. Obviously, that is hard to tell unless you are actually serving in it.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; March 25th, 2013, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Third response, first answer.

Each state has an IST coordinator, although realistically you'll probably want to work with the gaining state's OSM. For best results, initiate the process four months in advance, comply with the OSM's requirements immediately and completely, and work with your current chain of command to allow you to split-train in your new state for a month or two while the process works. This is your life, and it won't be any more important to anyone else than it is to you.

Comment

Working...
          X