X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branch and unit selection

I am currently an AROTC Cadet on the east coast. I will be attending LDAC this summer and commissioning in December. I will be moving to the midwest and would like to branch MS. Is there anything I can do now to ensure that I can find a unit in the midwest and branch MS?

Re: Branch and unit selection

I deduce that you mean "Medical Services".

You can start by researching the States that you are interested in to see if they have any medical units available or slots for a 2LT. If so, you can contact that state's OSM and inquire about getting an LOA.

If you do not want to be that proactive, then you can go to LDAC and on Branch Orientation Day, go up to the State's tent and select a branch from there. Be advised though, that if you are going to a late Regiment, then there won't be a whole lot left to choose from.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
      If you do not want to be that proactive, then you can go to LDAC and on Branch Orientation Day, go up to the State's tent and select a branch from there. Be advised though, that if you are going to a late Regiment, then there won't be a whole lot left to choose from.
      I had a buddy at FABOLC that apparently decided on a whim he wanted to move to Hawaii, so he went to the NG tent, found Hawaii's table, and got an LOA for an FA unit on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
        I had a buddy at FABOLC that apparently decided on a whim he wanted to move to Hawaii, so he went to the NG tent, found Hawaii's table, and got an LOA for an FA unit on the spot.
        It happens. Apparently, after speaking to my BOLC peers, I had the absolute easiest time getting MI. A lot of them had to do interviews, APFTs, submit recommendations and a lot of other forms of BS to get into MI.

I just walked up to the Texas tent and asked for an MI slot.

Comment

Thank You. Is the LOA binding? Once I have the LOA could I commission active or to another NG or reserve unit?

Comment

Originally posted by smallpox247 View Post
            Thank You. Is the LOA binding? Once I have the LOA could I commission active or to another NG or reserve unit?
            The LOA is not binding, per se. If you decide/get selected for Active, nothing is going to happen. If you decide to go to another state, some folks in the previous state are going to bad mouth you and call you names, but that's it. If you decide to try and change branches within that state, well, they'll block you from doing so.... unless you are simply swapping with another cadet. OSMs don't usually balk at that.

Comment

Working...
            X