Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated!

Just thought I would vent a little...

I have been in the process of reenlisting since June of last year. Yes, you read that correctly -- almost a full year. I am prior service 11B. I was in the Guard from 1997-2000. Basically, I needed a med waiver because of a surgery that I had two years ago. For one reason or another, that took 8 months (and that's with me nagging the recruiter every single week).

I finally get what I thought was a waiver. I go to MEPS on Friday. I pass the physical, but then at the end they DQ me for this surgery. Come to find out, all the "waiver" did was allow MEPS to give me a physical. It wasn't really a waiver at all -- it was just permission for MEPS to administer the physical. Now I have to wait for NGB to do the "real" waiver. Not only that, but I got a rude awakening when I found out an allergy to penicillin was now a DQ as well. So now I will be waiting who knows how long on two waivers.

I was all set up to do traditional OCS this year. I've already done my commander's interview and everything. I have already missed one Phase 0 drill, and will likely miss a second one as well before they get me squared away (the recruiter has told me this time the waivers should be quick).

I was counting on Phase 0 to get re-acclimated to the Guard again before Phase 1. There's a lot that is different from 2000 (new weapons, uniforms, tactics, etc.). I'd be behind the 8-ball if I had gone to all three Phase 0 drills. Now I feel like I will really be light years behind every one else in my class.

Oh well. Who said these things were easy...

Re: Frustrated!

Originally posted by spcchap View Post
    I found out an allergy to penicillin was now a DQ as well.
    This is absolutely mindblowing to me. I have a severe allergy to penicillin, and nobody has ever asked me a question about it. When it's time for shots, I just skip that line. WTF. Why are we keeping good soldiers out because of an allergy to a medication that has an easy alternative?

Comment

See this kind of makes me nervous because I ship out in about a month and I THINK I might be allergic to Amoxicillin which is like penicillin I guess, apparently my mom said I had a small rash after I took it which was when I was like 4 or 5 so I never even remotely thought about mentioning it to MEPS. I honestly don't know what will happen at BCT if I mention it there but I really don't plan on saying anything to MEPS when I go for the finale checkup just because I don't want to get held up on shipping out for something I don't know for certain. I guess I will see what happens at BCT .
      Last edited by GodBlessUSA; March 18th, 2013, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GodBlessUSA View Post
        See this kind of makes me nervous because I ship out in about a month and I THINK I might be allergic to Amoxicillin which is like penicillin I guess, apparently my mom said I had a small rash after I took it which was when I was like 4 or 5 so I never even remotely thought about mentioning it to MEPS. I honestly don't know what will happen at BCT if I mention it there but I really don't plan on saying anything to MEPS when I go for the finale checkup just because I don't want to get held up on shipping out for something I don't know for certain. I guess I will see what happens at BCT .
        If you have a slight allergy to Amoxicillin, you probably have a fairly serious reaction to Penicillin. If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and let someone know before you take that needle in the butt. Reception is not where you want to be when you're hospitalized for anaphylaxis.

Comment

I am allergic to both. Let someone know. Inquire about the red dog tags or order a set yourself for a couple bucks.

Comment

Working...
          X