X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro

Regular over at ArmyOCS.com, but coming here for more NG-specific info...

Officers

Username - enceladus

Commissioning Source - OCS

Branch - EN

Rank/AOC - 2LT

Hometown - central CT (currently NoVA)

Age - 26

Alma Mater - Villanova U

Year of Graduation - 2009

Major - Arab & Islamic Studies

Sports - Swimming, running, basketball, tennis

Activities - Crossfit, clamming

APFT - 300

Why I Became a Soldier - Always had the itch to serve, and to advance my civilian career

Helpful Tip(s) for Those Applying - Went through the Federal program @ Benning so I could answer specific Q's about that

Re: Intro

Interesting major

Comment

Interesting age.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        Interesting major
        Right. I would caution anyone, though, in majoring in something like this unless you have a plan. A lot of my friends have struggled to find meaningful work with their liberal arts degrees because they lack any real, concrete skills. A lot of them have gone on to low-tier law schools, increasing their student loans significantly but still are having hard time getting a good job.

If you are dead-set on majoring somewhere in the liberal arts, become fluent in a second language, find a school that teaches you how to master Esri, Analystís Notebook, or some other technical skill. Do an internship that gets you a high level-security clearance. Expect to get a graduate degree someday.

Ö.Or just major in the STEM field. Things have worked out for me, but if I could do it over again, I would have studied computer science or Engineering or something like that.

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
        Interesting age.
        How so?

Comment

Originally posted by enceladus View Post
          Ö.Or just major in the STEM field. Things have worked out for me, but if I could do it over again, I would have studied computer science or Engineering or something like that.
          God, how I wish somebody would have beat me over the head with this while I was in school. I work as a business analyst for a Government tech contractor, and I've never seen messy, bearded people in white hi-top sneakers and faded t-shirts make so much freaking money. Skynet is real, and it is run by engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by enceladus View Post
            Right. I would caution anyone, though, in majoring in something like this unless you have a plan. A lot of my friends have struggled to find meaningful work with their liberal arts degrees because they lack any real, concrete skills. A lot of them have gone on to low-tier law schools, increasing their student loans significantly but still are having hard time getting a good job.

If you are dead-set on majoring somewhere in the liberal arts, become fluent in a second language, find a school that teaches you how to master Esri, Analystís Notebook, or some other technical skill. Do an internship that gets you a high level-security clearance. Expect to get a graduate degree someday.

+999

This excellent advice has my full endorsement.

Comment

Working...
            X