X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase 0 Highlights

I expected phase 0 to be a sort of orientation weekend--but it wasn't. First let me say that the prevailing factor throughout the weekend was bone-chilling cold. I would estimate it got no warmer than lower 30's with perhaps a 15 degree wind chill. Friday night was spent getting our lockers and bunks together. Saturday morning we were abruptly awakened at around 4am, not by TAC officers, not by TAC NCO's but by WOCS candidates. They ran through our barracks singing cadence, then stopped, said excuse us, then ran out. Then, they continued doing their group run up and down the stair rails for another hour.

Early Saturday morning we spent a lot of time doing practice formations rotating CO's, XO's, 1SGT's, Chaplains, and platoon Sergeants. By the way, we're doing this while being attacked by snow flurries. The rest of the morning was admin in class.

The PT test was taken at 1300--Let me tell you--Buy this time my body was already riddled with a mild haze of hypothermia. My hands were like crab claws, my face felt like leather, and my feet felt like lead blocks. Meanwhile, the TAC Sergeants were all wrapped up and toasty. Oh, by the way, we couldn't dress in full winter PT gear because 'that guy' forgot to bring all his winter gear. So, after a little teamwork, we managed to put together enough winter PT gear to march out in a long sleeve shirt and pants--didn't help. While standing through all the formalities prior to doing push-ups and sit-ups we fought to keep consciousness. I fought through and managed to pass that portion.

We begin our 2 mile run. At this point I can't feel my face or my thighs. The continous attacks of wind gusts a half mile into running seized up my legs--I was reduced to a labored shuffle. a few feet into the second mile I lost feeling in my feet and hands, then stinging pain set in my fingers. End result: Of 16 officer candidates 7 failed and 1 dropped out. The top PT score was 288 from a 37-year-old ex-Marine that was built like a gazelle. I was the oldest at 40 and scored a 244. Next highest score was a 188. No one else broke 200.

Saturday night: I gotta tell ya--I learned more about land nav in 3 hours than I learned in 8 weeks at BCT at Benning and we didn't even go outside. With such a high failure rate on the first PT test it's very motivating to be the oldest guy and make the first cut the first time around. All questions and comments appreciated.

Re: Phase 0 Highlights

This is why I went to summer AOCS, I can deal with the heat better than freezing. Congrats on passing the PT test in such extremes.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
      This is why I went to summer AOCS, I can deal with the heat better than freezing. Congrats on passing the PT test in such extremes.
      Hooah. I'll be hitting AOCS 8 June, sir. Below 50 degrees my brain shuts down.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
        The top PT score was 288 from a 37-year-old ex-Marine that was built like a gazelle. I was the oldest at 40 and scored a 244.
        Tough old b*st*rds

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
          Tough old b*st*rds
          He wasn't that tough. He shivered like a plucked chicken while we were in formation.

Comment

Hooah. I'll be hitting AOCS 8 June, sir. Below 50 degrees my brain shuts down.
            Ahh...just wait and see how well your brain operates in the 90 degree, 90% humidity down at Ft. McCellan with little to no sleep. Hooah!

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
              Ahh...just wait and see how well your brain operates in the 90 degree, 90% humidity down at Ft. McCellan with little to no sleep. Hooah!
              That's when I operate at my best. Did BCT through June and July averaging 109 degrees seven days a week at Benning.

Comment

It's different...trust me.

Comment

The hotter the better. I only work harder.

Comment

By the way, I'm from Alabama. Born and raised. My element.

Comment

Someone call the "Waaaaaaaaambulance".

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                        Someone call the "Waaaaaaaaambulance".
                        Yeah. Wow, low 30s? Isn't that like the average winter temperature here in the Northeast? What's the big deal?

Comment

Dont worry. You'll stay plenty warm throughout OCS.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                            Yeah. Wow, low 30s? Isn't that like the average winter temperature here in the Northeast? What's the big deal?

The big deal is I'm not from the Northeast. Hence the reference to being born and raised in Alabama, hence the preference to train in a much hotter climate. The kind of climate I assisted in saving over 20 trainees, guys mostly from the Midwest to Northeast, from dying over due to being heat casualties while I was at Benning.
                            Last edited by VICEROY06; March 5th, 2013, 09:30 PM.

Comment

By the way, I'm from Alabama. Born and raised. My element.
                              So am I. I've lived here all my life. I think Anniston is like another planet though.

Oh what fun you'll have on the TAs doing land-nav! Watch out for blackberry bushes.

Comment

Working...
                              X