X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Service USMC Officer looking to join

Prior service USMC 1985-2005 both active and reserve. I did not retire. MOS's: Infantry / Light Armor Recon. Officer / Logististics / Adjutant. I live in California, and I am looking for the contacts I should reach out to. I saw on the eligibility tab: •After applicant is given credit for total prior service (Active and Reserve Component), applicant must be able to qualify for nonregular retired pay by age 60...I will be able to do this. Could I also explore Arizona, or do you have to live in the state you drill in?

Re: Prior Service USMC Officer looking to join

Originally posted by RSLP View Post
    Prior service USMC 1985-2005 both active and reserve. I did not retire. MOS's: Infantry / Light Armor Recon. Officer / Logististics / Adjutant. I live in California, and I am looking for the contacts I should reach out to. I saw on the eligibility tab: •After applicant is given credit for total prior service (Active and Reserve Component), applicant must be able to qualify for nonregular retired pay by age 60...I will be able to do this. Could I also explore Arizona, or do you have to live in the state you drill in?
    I'd think you need to start with a recruiter, but I'm not sure. LTC Ritchie is an expert on things like this so he can probably point you in the right direction. Generally speaking, you don't have to live in the state you drill in. One of my battle buddies flies in to the Carolinas from the North East for drill.

Comment

Puzzling. You served for twenty years, yet did not retire (so you say). You may find that you have indeed been placed in the retired reserve. That means that you'd need to request transfer from the retired reserve to the IRR, whence you could get into the Guard. Of course, if you didn't have enough good years to retire, then you'd likely have no military status at this point, which would make it both easier and harder to get into the Guard.

Are you seeking appointment as a major in the Guard? That might prove problematic, not least of all because one likely scenario is that you might have spent some time in the IRR (perhaps even unwittingly), and faced non-selection for promotion (because IRR folks tend not to keep up their records). If you are twice nonselected for promotion by a reserve component promotion board, your officer career is over. Additionally, because of the differences in military education between the USMC and the Army, you may find yourself educationally unqualified to serve as a major. You may also find reluctance from the chain of command to bring in a 50 year old major from another service who hasn't served in seven years. There are a number of variables to your situation, but I want you to consider the possibility that you may need to come back as an E5.

I get the impression that there's something significant that you haven't mentioned. Tell me about the circumstances of your departure from service in 2005, your RE code, and SPD code from your DD214, and civilian/military education level.

Comment

Did you not complete a good year during your twenty while serving as a reservist? That will be my thinking for not getting your 20 year letter.

Comment

I have 5 years that I did not drill. I have ordered a copy of my records for the recruiter.

Comment

I figured that. While in the IRR, you will not receive enough points for a good year in the Guard/Reserves. Hopefully, you will be able to re-enter to complete those five years.

Comment

Working...
            X