Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer

Hello all,

I was thinking if i should first receive the 60 college credits then attending the police academy which gives me 30 credits towards college. Once i graduate the police academy ill have about 90 college credits and will only need to complete two semesters for a B.A degree. I know John Jay college accepts all 30 police academy credits. Ill attending college while working for the NYPD. After receiving my BA, ill try becoming an officer for the national guard.

or
    Get 60 college credits, and enlist with the national guard. Still attend school full time while doing ROTC as a SMP Cadet.

or
    Should I just stick to college while participating in ROTC, and try becoming a SMP cadet?

Also as a SMP cadet would i get paid? or do i have to be a ROTC contracted Cadet to get paid?
    Last edited by NYCfinest; February 21st, 2013, 10:13 AM.

Re: Officer

Originally posted by NYCfinest View Post
    Hello all,

Im currently in my second semester in college, and also participating in ROTC (MS1). I plan on becoming a National Guard officer, while working for the NYPD.
    I already took the NYPD exam in 2010, all I'm missing is the college credits to continue the hiring process. The NYPD exam expires 2016. My goal is to become a Infantry Officer for the National Guard while working full time in the NYPD.

As of right now this is my plan...

I was thinking if i should first receive the 60 college credits then attending the police academy which gives me 30 credits towards college. Once i graduate the police academy ill have about 90 college credits and will only need to complete two semesters for a B.A degree. I know John Jay college accepts all 30 police academy credits. Ill attending college while working for the NYPD. After receiving my BA, ill try becoming an officer for the national guard.

or
    Get 60 college credits, and enlist with the national guard. Still attend school full time while doing ROTC as a SMP Cadet.

or
    Should I just stick to college while participating in ROTC, and try becoming a SMP cadet?

Also as a SMP cadet would i get paid? or do i have to be a ROTC contracted Cadet to get paid?
    It's great that you want to be an Infantry officer, but that can be a very competitive branch to assess into and promotions can be very slow once you get there. Talk to Polo or some of the NJ IN officers on this board for more specifics. There is not a lot you can really do to guarantee yourself an infantry slot either, fyi. Needs of the state/Army usually dictate your branch choice.

I'm a little biased because I was an ROTC guy, but I would be very wary of talking a commission before finishing college. Once you start working full time, and drilling as an officer, getting your degree on the side can quickly turn into a burden. You'll think you have more time to finish it until you're starting to get ready for promotion to Captain and you don't have your degree. My point is that if you can get your degree and your commission at the same time (i.e., as a full time college student), you're probably better off long term than entering the workforce and national guard and trying to get your degree at a later date.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

Comment

Re: Officer

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
      It's great that you want to be an Infantry officer, but that can be a very competitive branch to assess into and promotions can be very slow once you get there. Talk to Polo or some of the NJ IN officers on this board for more specifics. There is not a lot you can really do to guarantee yourself an infantry slot either, fyi. Needs of the state/Army usually dictate your branch choice.

I'm a little biased because I was an ROTC guy, but I would be very wary of talking a commission before finishing college. Once you start working full time, and drilling as an officer, getting your degree on the side can quickly turn into a burden. You'll think you have more time to finish it until you're starting to get ready for promotion to Captain and you don't have your degree. My point is that if you can get your degree and your commission at the same time (i.e., as a full time college student), you're probably better off long term than entering the workforce and national guard and trying to get your degree at a later date.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

roger.
      ill have to wait until the end of the year to see how ROTC going. But if i get commission, ill just stick to being a full time college student.

Comment

Working...
      X