Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security clearance

Greetings all.

Recently divorced, ex kept house and a vehicle but she has since lost both. She was unable to secure her own financing. She got behind so of course both are on my credit now and showing as a repo. In our decree these items were rewarded to her. Decree released me from financial responsibility in the laws eyes but not the creditors of course. Will this be taken into consideration when security clearance is ran on me?

I'm hoping to enlist 09S.

Long time stalker, first time poster. Looking forward to your insight. Thank you kindly.

Re: Security clearance

You co-sign a loan, you liable for the payments if the borrower defaults.

Comment

Yes, very well aware of this.

Comment

I have seen this a number of times before in my consumer law practice. If she stopped paying it is only a matter of time before she'll be forced into bankruptcy and then the creditors will go against you. Seek counsel to find out what your options are. Good luck.

Comment

You said according to your divorce decree that both 'items' were transferred to her but that does not necessarily mean the loan. As you said, she was unable to secure her own financing, so you co-signed, and then she was awarded to ITEMS. If in your divorce, even if she could convince the JUDGE that she could make the payments on her own and thus should be awarded the items, the finance company would not have seen it this way. If the finance company would not let her secure a loan on her own to BUY it, they are not going to let her be solely liable to KEEP it....not when they also have your name on the dotted line.

Being granted an item in a divorce, even if the judge SAYS that the receiver will pay all costs, does not absolve you of financial obligation to the finance company unless the finance company agress to take you name off the loan, (which means she would be financing it alone) which you said her credit was not good enough to do.

You can and should seek legal council, but it sounds like you are going to be stuck with the reposession on your credit report. Your divorce decree, unfortunately, did not (it sounds like) absolve you of financial responsibility in this case.

Comment

I'm honestly not sure how MEPS will handle it, they deny people particular enlistment options for security reasons when it sometimes appears there's a minor chance they'll get the clearance.They seem to have their own rules related to $$$ (saving money sending someone to training they may get sent home from).

You're going to have to start making payments on the debt or otherwise remove yourself of responsibility. The army will send you a denial letter if you have small or large bills that you are simply not paying.

I recently worked with a gentleman trying to commission who bought two investment homes with his wife. The tenants proceeded to not pay rent and strip the place of all copper (wiring and plumbing) and leave, making it impossible to rent and unaffordable. The wife said screw it and quit helping, they divorced and he was stuck with it. The army flatly denied his clearance until he explained the situation and that he had a bankruptcy in progress to rid him of the debt since it was financially impossible for him to pay it or attempt to satisfy it.

Took a few extra months of work but it was granted and he commissioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
              You said according to your divorce decree that both 'items' were transferred to her but that does not necessarily mean the loan. As you said, she was unable to secure her own financing, so you co-signed, and then she was awarded to ITEMS. If in your divorce, even if she could convince the JUDGE that she could make the payments on her own and thus should be awarded the items, the finance company would not have seen it this way. If the finance company would not let her secure a loan on her own to BUY it, they are not going to let her be solely liable to KEEP it....not when they also have your name on the dotted line.

Being granted an item in a divorce, even if the judge SAYS that the receiver will pay all costs, does not absolve you of financial obligation to the finance company unless the finance company agress to take you name off the loan, (which means she would be financing it alone) which you said her credit was not good enough to do.

You can and should seek legal council, but it sounds like you are going to be stuck with the reposession on your credit report. Your divorce decree, unfortunately, did not (it sounds like) absolve you of financial responsibility in this case.
              Yes sir, it did not absolve me from financial responsibility whatsoever. Unfortunately she was in way too deep before I learned of the problems. Too late for me to fix.

I guess I was wondering if considering my situation and the documents that show awarding of property to her, that security clearance might still be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by AustexJohn View Post
                Yes sir, it did not absolve me from financial responsibility whatsoever. Unfortunately she was in way too deep before I learned of the problems. Too late for me to fix.

I guess I was wondering if considering my situation and the documents that show awarding of property to her, that security clearance might still be possible.
                Even though you were not in possession of the property, the liability for the the loan was there and if it was MY credit on the line, I would have made sure that A. the decree absolved me of financial responsibility (and got it in writing from the finance company) or B. made SURE that the loan got paid on.

My point is, they MAY not consider ignorance a viable excise for the reposession. Wether or not the clearance will be granted is up to the secuity official, weighing your credit against other factors. There is no simple "yes, it will be granted' or 'no, it won't'. Members can only share their own experiences.

Pull your OWN credit, from all three agencies, see what's on there and have a plan/explanation for it all. It might help.

P.S. I'm a female...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                  Even though you were not in possession of the property, the liability for the the loan was there and if it was MY credit on the line, I would have made sure that A. the decree absolved me of financial responsibility (and got it in writing from the finance company) or B. made SURE that the loan got paid on.

My point is, they MAY not consider ignorance a viable excise for the reposession. Wether or not the clearance will be granted is up to the secuity official, weighing your credit against other factors. There is no simple "yes, it will be granted' or 'no, it won't'. Members can only share their own experiences.

Pull your OWN credit, from all three agencies, see what's on there and have a plan/explanation for it all. It might help.

P.S. I'm a female...
                  My apologies! Thank you for your insight.

Comment

How recent is your divorced?

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                      How recent is your divorced?
                      Almost 2 years Chief.

Comment

Working...
                      X