X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVN BOLC/FS XXI

For those who've been recently or are there now, how's it rolling with your state: i.e.:

- Are you on TDY or PCS orders since the course is so long?
    - Have you completed the different phases (BOLC, Dunker, SERE, etc.) fairly concurrently without long breaks in-between?
    - Have you found time to make it home at all and/or did anyone take family with them?

Just curious. Just got my LOA for AVN this past weekend so trying to line up the ducks. Thanks for any insight.

Re: AVN BOLC/FS XXI

- Are you on TDY or PCS orders since the course is so long?

PCS orders.

- Have you completed the different phases (BOLC, Dunker, SERE, etc.) fairly concurrently without long breaks in-between?

Dunker just takes a day and I did that as soon as BOLC was over. Currently waiting for SERE, the break from BOLC to SERE for my class is about 2 1/2 weeks.

- Have you found time to make it home at all and/or did anyone take family with them?

There is time during holidays and 4-day weekends where you can take leave or passes. You are also able to do this during your breaks in training.

Many people bring their families with them. There are FRGs for each class that spouses can participate in and make friends.

Congrats on receiving your LOA. Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions.
    Last edited by j.stetzer; February 13th, 2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Re: AVN BOLC/FS XXI

-PCS
      -You can complete dunker anytime after getting an upslip, however it must be completed prior to sere (its a walk in class that takes two days; one for a swim test and then the next for dunker).
      -BOLC is eight weeks, and near impossible to fail.
      -SERE-C is three miserable weeks, but the pass rate is high.
      -Aeromed/Systems 1 is two weeks prior to starting primary.
      -Primary is eight weeks, memorize TH-67 chapters 5, 8, and 9 (verbatim, don't let anyone tell you to only worry about underlined steps in primary) prior to starting to save yourself a lot of stress. Also the sooner you get over the fact that you are going to be god awful at flying a helicopter in the beginning the better (assuming you don't already know how to fly one. Really it's gonna be bad. Just take comfort in the fact that everyone else is going to suck equally bad, and anyone who brags about how good they are is full of it).
      -Instruments is also eight weeks, very boring, but not to difficult in my opinion. You wear a vision restrictor whenever you're flying so you can't see outside, and you'll probably experience some sever spatial disorientation in this phase. Academics is harder than primary, and theres a lot more thinking involved while you're flying.
      -Basic Warfighter Skills is the best four weeks of IERW. It's also the busiest. Flight planning is going to suck up a lot of your time, in addition to all the stuff you have to memorize. They're adding solo's back for the next class that goes through which will suck because now you have to memorize all of chapters 5, 8 and 9 for the OH-58A/C on top of the other stuff you'll be required to learn, just so you can fly a traffic pattern with your stick buddy. They also removed NOE which is the best part of BWS.

I had about a two month wait between WOCS and BOLC, two months between BOLC and SERE and a month between SERE and aeromed. Supposedly they've shortened those waits up a lot over the past few months. I finished BWS about a month ago and start my advanced airframe in two more weeks.

Comment

Working...
      X