X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG for 2LT to 1LT

Quick questions about the TIG to get promoted to 1LT...

I've always been told TIG for 2LT to 1LT is 18 months. However, BN S1 is now saying it's 24 months. I've searched here and with Google and have found both 18 and 24, so I'm not sure which it is. Where could I find the regs on this? I searched AR 135-155, but I can only find it updated in 2004, so I'd think it's out of date.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: TIG for 2LT to 1LT

I hit 18 months tomorrow, and my packet is being submitted to BN this weekend at drill.

Comment

Originally posted by sherfield2002 View Post
      Quick questions about the TIG to get promoted to 1LT...

I've always been told TIG for 2LT to 1LT is 18 months. However, BN S1 is now saying it's 24 months. I've searched here and with Google and have found both 18 and 24, so I'm not sure which it is. Where could I find the regs on this? I searched AR 135-155, but I can only find it updated in 2004, so I'd think it's out of date.

Thanks in advance for the help.
      It was 18 months for me.

Comment

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's 18 month. I just don't want to go to the S1 without some sort of reg showing that 18 months is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by sherfield2002 View Post
          Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's 18 month. I just don't want to go to the S1 without some sort of reg showing that 18 months is correct.
          Older thread that touched on the subject.

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...p/t-11332.html

Comment

Thanks Chief. I found that thread, but didn't see where I could find the memo that the thread referenced.

Comment

I don't have a reg to support it, but it was 18 months for the longest time. I have heard recently that could change very soon (if it hasn't already) BACK to 24 months. That with the draw down there is less incentive to push junior officers through the ranks and to CPT quickly. So they are going to start making it 4yrs for total LT time to really develop the junior officers prior to CPT.

It is also possible for individual units to make the decision to go to 24 months, without a reg to back it up. In my state I know of a few guys that have been waiting for the promotion and their commanders philosophy is that 18months isn't enough time. There isn't a reg here, but instead just a command philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Portree228 View Post
                I don't have a reg to support it, but it was 18 months for the longest time. I have heard recently that could change very soon (if it hasn't already) BACK to 24 months. That with the draw down there is less incentive to push junior officers through the ranks and to CPT quickly. So they are going to start making it 4yrs for total LT time to really develop the junior officers prior to CPT.

It is also possible for individual units to make the decision to go to 24 months, without a reg to back it up. In my state I know of a few guys that have been waiting for the promotion and their commanders philosophy is that 18months isn't enough time. There isn't a reg here, but instead just a command philosophy.
                It already is ~4 years if I'm not mistaken. It takes 48 months (maybe 42 months?) minimum to promote to CPT on Active Duty.

Comment

I found the old one but it is true about implementing more time-in-grade. I was affected by that.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...vr6rc6FN8wdMPA

http://www.calguard.ca.gov/casmr/Doc...eg%20600-2.pdf <--2011 CALGUARD, page 22
                  Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 5th, 2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

MS does have a memo out that states if you do not have your degree then TIG to 1LT is 30 months and 18 months for those with a degree. I have a copy of it, if you PM me your email I will send it to you.

Comment

From my understanding from some LT's, the Army changed it recently back to 24 for months for the RC. It's still 48 months for you to become eligible for promotion to CPT.

A good resource if you haven't been there before is https://s1net.army.mil/.
                      Last edited by RedLeg; February 5th, 2013, 11:17 PM.

Comment

I just pushed three promotion packets for LTs at the 18 month mark. They probably won't hit their window for CPT until 48 months in service.

Comment

Originally posted by jwebber34 View Post
                          hey im new to this site and have a bunch of questions, but im not sure how to ask it publicly so people can answer, please help
                          Are you new to message boards too?

1. Search the forums for your question.
                          2. Review Tacked threads for your question.
                          3. Start a new thread.
                          4. ???
                          5. Profit

Too easy.

Comment

Funny this thread was opened. I got a text from a buddy today stating that TIG went to 24 months as of Jan 1,
                            and no grandfathering. We graduated in '11 and hit the 18 month TIG point 15 March.

He's at OCS TACing and usually has the good mojo...

I will be interested to find out the answer myself.

scj

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                              From my understanding from some LT's, the Army changed it recently back to 24 for months for the RC. It's still 48 months for you to become eligible for promotion to CPT.

A good resource if you haven't been there before is https://s1net.army.mil/.
                              Originally posted by scjohnny View Post
                              Funny this thread was opened. I got a text from a buddy today stating that TIG went to 24 months as of Jan 1,
                              and no grandfathering. We graduated in '11 and hit the 18 month TIG point 15 March.

He's at OCS TACing and usually has the good mojo...

I will be interested to find out the answer myself.

scj
                              Would someone be able to link us to a reference for this? Currently at work without CAC login capability.

Comment

Working...
                              X