X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter of Acceptance

I am slated to start traditional OCS in late May. Our OSM advised us to get a LOA prior to Phase 0, and the FEDREC with will be immediately following. I have looked at branches that are in my area (SE Michigan) and I would like to branch AG, QM, OD, or possibly Signals. My questions are these:
    1-How do I go about acquiring an LOA?
    2-Can I just call up the unit and request one?
    3-Who should I ask for?

Also, if I may, the branch map I have shows for example that there are multiple branches available in Taylor MI. (AG,MP,MI,QM,CS...) However when I try to research the Taylor MIARNG all I can come up with is the MP unit, 177th Military Police. Does this imply that there are multiple branches within the MP unit? As in, an AG branch officer attached to the 177th MP?

As always, any help is appreciated

Re: Letter of Acceptance

(Note this is how I did it)
    You can go up to a Unit during the week and talk to the Readiness NCO (he will be a 'full-timer'). Depending on
    how the Unit is set up, he and the Commander probably have some sort of agreement, where he gives you the
    COs contact information (or gives the CO yours) and the CO does an interview with you. It is typically academic
    if the Unit has a position that you are looking for and you come off as squared away.

I googled the 177th, that looks like it is a Battalion. Yes there should be staff officers there (ie: AG, SC, MI officers).
    I am AG, we are pretty much always a part of a different Unit. I am in a Chemical Brigade.

Good luck.

Comment

So your OSM just threw you to the wind like that? I find that puzzling. What guidance has your OCS chain of command given?

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you both for your timely reply.
        LCOL- My OSM and the R&R command are actually quite g2g. They just had a Leadership Opportunity Conference this past weekend where they explained a lot of the workings of, and differences between, alternate routs to 2LT and WO1. The LOA came up in a panel about branch selection, and the SFC of our RSP said it would be best if we had the LOA before the FEDREC, which is immediately following Phase 0. He did say that if needed either the OSM, or the unit I am 'technically' attached to could line something up. The R&R, and the OSM in MI have set up a new program (RSP-O) which I am drilling with, to better prepare candidates for Phase 0, and OCS.
        2LT I am very interested in AG. I have my degree in Public Affairs/ Public Administration. I understand that there is a PA branch as well, but I have gotten contradicting dope on whether I can branch into it or if I have to do AG and move laterally later in my career. What do you do as an AG attached to another battalion? I understand that the gist of it is human resources, but how productive and accomplished do you feel when its all said and done? In addition to your regular duties are you also a PL, or no? Do you deploy if the unit deploys?

I am also interested in Quartermaster, if anyone out there cares to share their experiences as a QM attached to a battalion.

Comment

Usually the OSM will give you a list of LT openings within your state, you pick one and then they call and make you an appointment.

I am surprised that they are having you get your LOA this far out, most Traditional programs wait until the 6 month mark before beginning this process.

Comment

AG is a very small branch, with few LT openings. You're really painting yourself into a corner with that one.

Public Affairs is a functional area, which is something you can add onto your existing career field, and switch between them throughout assignments. Functional areas don't have enough positions to become full branches. Generally, any branch can pick up any functional area, and they tend to become relevant when one is a captain or major.

I recommend service in a larger branch, and then pursue public affairs in a few years. QM could serve well in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by teufel.hunden View Post
              LCOL
              I'm going to have to jump in here and correct you on this; if I don't, I'll feel guilty about it all day.

Lieutenant Colonels are "LTC." Not Lt Col, LT COL, or LCOL. Important to start off on the right foot if you're going to be an officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                I'm going to have to jump in here and correct you on this; if I don't, I'll feel guilty about it all day.

Lieutenant Colonels are "LTC." Not Lt Col, LT COL, or LCOL. Important to start off on the right foot if you're going to be an officer.
                Good catch, 2nd Lt.!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post

My bust... I do sincerely appreciate you saving me from what would probably be a costly error on some test in Phase Zero. So while your taking the time to correct me on my abbreviations Sir, mind you giving any insight as to your experiences selecting a branch, or seeking an LOA, (Letter of Acceptance)? Did you actively search out Artillery or were you assigned that branch? What was BOLC-B of Artillery like? What have been your experiences in your career?

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                    AG is a very small branch, with few LT openings. You're really painting yourself into a corner with that one.

Public Affairs is a functional area, which is something you can add onto your existing career field, and switch between them throughout assignments. Functional areas don't have enough positions to become full branches. Generally, any branch can pick up any functional area, and they tend to become relevant when one is a captain or major.

I recommend service in a larger branch, and then pursue public affairs in a few years. QM could serve well in that regard.
                    LCT,
                    Sir- Thank you for your productive input and professional expertise. When you say "painting yourself into a corner" is that to imply that promotion and advancement opportunities are limited?
                    I have taken some time to research QM BOLC at Ft. Lee. Do you know if the Army offers that course at any other location? Also, would I request an LOA through my preferred unit, (based on geographical location) even if that unit is an MP unit? I guess SCJohnny covered this to a certain degree, but your input would be gratefully appreciated.

Comment

When you say "painting yourself into a corner" is that to imply that promotion and advancement opportunities are limited?
                      Yes, because it's such a small branch. The combat support branches tend to have personnel models shaped like diamonds, not pyramids -- AG needs more captains than lieutenants. Thus, you may do better to serve in a larger branch, and then after company command switch to AG if it still interests you and there's a vacancy.
                      I have taken some time to research QM BOLC at Ft. Lee. Do you know if the Army offers that course at any other location?
                      Nope, Ft Lee is the home of logistics. Each branch's BOLC only has one location.
                      Also, would I request an LOA through my preferred unit, (based on geographical location) even if that unit is an MP unit?
                      You need to decide some priorities. Perhaps geography is most important to you, in which case you've got to serve in the manner of that unit. If you want to serve in an MP company, then you'll need to become an MP lieutenant. Unless you have a brigade or division HQ nearby, you may have a limited selection of units and branches, unless you want to drive. That's one big downside of serving as an officer.

Now, if you want to serve in the AG field in your MP unit, they have at least one spot for an enlisted personnel clerk in that unit. That's one big advantage of the enlisted side, inasmuch as there are so many more positions and variety. You need to decide what's most important to you, so you know where to take risk and make sacrifices.

Comment

My bust... I do sincerely appreciate you saving me from what would probably be a costly error on some test in Phase Zero. So while your taking the time to correct me on my abbreviations Sir, mind you giving any insight as to your experiences selecting a branch, or seeking an LOA, (Letter of Acceptance)? Did you actively search out Artillery or were you assigned that branch? What was BOLC-B of Artillery like? What have been your experiences in your career?
                        I was enlisted with an FA unit, and my experience with the officers in my Battalion led me to become an officer. I chose FA because I absolutely love it and couldn't imagine doing anything else. BOLC-B was fun, lots of homework and long nights, but you get to shoot big guns and blow stuff up.

Comment

Working...
                        X