X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapter II Commissioning Physical

This is the old man thread--The case nurse put me on permanent profile because there was less than a millimeter of a blip on my EKG reading. She politely warned me that I needed to go see a civilian doctor to get a 2nd opinion or not only will I not be able to go to AOCS, I will be kicked out of the Guard. So, I've spent the past five months chasing after old stress test doctor's notes from my prior general practitioner, two months of chasing after a new practitioner to give me new results, which ended up in her being too afraid to fill out a military medical readiness form, which lead to a month of chasing after a cardiologist.

I'm near the end of the physical when the ARNG physician is overlooking my medical papers. He takes a look at my old EKG, the same EKG that caused several months of anguish. I quickly pull out my echocardiogram results from my new cardiologist stating in so many words that I'm good to go. He looks at the letter, reads it in 2 seconds, then looks at the EKG again and says: "Okay, great but your EKG is fine anyway." Really? Five months of chasing doctors and paperwork, four days of taking off from work to chase my tail, and several trips to and from the case nurse--all rendered null and void in less than 10 seconds. The good news is out of 300 soldiers there for their annual PHA only 5 of us were there for commissioning physical. And we were all given top priority. What would have been 7 hours of waiting was reduced to an hour. Even better news: No rectal examination (40 and over only). HOOAH!

Re: Chapter II Commissioning Physical

First, I don't doubt your story at all, I'm just interested in clarification for others.

To clarify you attempted two separate Chapter 2 physicals? Or a PHA and then finally a Chapter 2?
    If you aren't over 40, why was an EKG being done in the first place? Neither a PHA nor a Chapter 2 include that under 40.
    How did a case nurse put you on a profile? (Outside a nurses scope of practice) (I can assume you meant NP, which could clear that one up).
    If a clinician noted (I assume) ST Segment elevation on your EKG...that shouldn't produce a profile, it should produce a 911 call, or at the very least without the presence of symptoms an immediate cardiac workup. (Troponin, etc.)
    Either way, congrats on passing the Chapter 2! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
      Even better news: No rectal examination (40 and over only). HOOAH!
      That day will come. And to be honest; it is not that bad. I am dreading the colonoscopy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        First, I don't doubt your story at all, I'm just interested in clarification for others.

To clarify you attempted two separate Chapter 2 physicals? Or a PHA and then finally a Chapter 2?
        If you aren't over 40, why was an EKG being done in the first place? Neither a PHA nor a Chapter 2 include that under 40.
        How did a case nurse put you on a profile? (Outside a nurses scope of practice) (I can assume you meant NP, which could clear that one up).
        If a clinician noted (I assume) ST Segment elevation on your EKG...that shouldn't produce a profile, it should produce a 911 call, or at the very least without the presence of symptoms an immediate cardiac workup. (Troponin, etc.)
        Either way, congrats on passing the Chapter 2! Good luck!
        But you wouldn't ask me out again if I told you everything on the first date.

I'll be 41 years of age 10 APR 2013. Interesting little story--I enlisted in December of 2010 just a couple months before they dropped the age limit to 35 in April of 2011. Took my first PHA last year. That's when I got the bogus EKG. The results on the EKG popped hot with a "borderline abnormal" reading. The case manager nurse slapped me on a "temporary profile" told me to get a second opinion from a civilian doctor, and barred me from taking a PT test. Yes sir, she sure did. You'll laugh at this one: I scored an average of 288 throughout basic and AIT and graduated a couple months prior to this examination. My heart is so well conditioned the nurse that performed the EKG on me told me to kick my legs to increase my heart rate because she couldn't get a good reading. But somehow the case manager nurse felt I was about to kill over and die.

Now, don't get me wrong. The case nurse is a nice lady and I don't have any animosity towards her or anyone else. Anyways, I saw her again and brought another EKG, same results, from a civilian doctor. However, the the doctor provided notes stating that the EKG is typical and that I was 100%. Because of the notes the case nurse dropped me down to a: "temporary profile with no limitations." because: "I still have concerns." Yes she did. So, the case nurse gave me a medical consult form for the doctor to fill out. The doc chickened out because she didn't feel qualified to fill out the form. I don't blame her for feeling that way--it would be unreasonable to expect a civilian doctor determine if I can perform routine military duties. SO, I went to a top grade Cardiologist. Passed with flying colors. Gave the case nurse my results and she dropped my profile. The end.
        Last edited by VICEROY06; February 2nd, 2013, 06:25 PM.

Comment

So you're PHA went ok, what about your commissioning physical? It should be very similar to the one you had at MEPS.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
            So you're PHA went ok, what about your commissioning physical? It should be very similar to the one you had at MEPS.
            Compared to MEPS the commissioning physical was like a cocktail party. I don't know about other locations but at the location where I took the commissioning physical (Medical Corps at the Air National Guard base) gives FIRST IN LINE lanyards to officer candidates and other officers taking their annual PHA. What cracked me up is here I am a lowly E4 mixed up in a long line with a Major. A W.O.C. walks up to us and yells "Y'all need to get up at the front of the line or you'll mess our system up." So, we shuffle up to the front.

What made it even easier was that I already took a physical this past January--I was going through the motions of preparing for deployment until I completed enough of my OCS packet to justify being released from the battle roster. So, all I needed to do at the commissioning physical was to have blood drawn, dental, optical and vitals checked. In and out in less than an hour.
            Last edited by VICEROY06; February 4th, 2013, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X